I did change the key and I’ve been watching the stats on Wunderground and have been seeing the same thing. The calls have been going up about 2/minute.
I did have my controller on a different port, but I changed it back to port 80 earlier this evening. I just checked it again and rebooted it to make sure and everything looks alright.
I do have my network behind a firewall/UTM, and I’ve been going through the logs. But I don’t see any issues with the firewall blocking any traffic destined for the controller. I’m going to do some more testing with firewall just so I can rule that out completely or find a problem.
I don’t think you’ll need to change to firmware as right now this appears to be an isolated issue.
Thanks for all the assistance!