OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Who accept a challenge to write plugin with soil moisture? Reply To: Who accept a challenge to write plugin with soil moisture?

Michael
Participant

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and came across it in my endless pursuit to design and build the most efficient sprinkler system possible. While I have not used any of the OpenSprinkler controllers yet, I am considering it if it can solve my dilemma. I would like to be able to use a soil moisture sensor for each one of my irrigation stations as a secondary water saving device. Currently, I am using the TORO Evolution controller with the EVO weather sensor, which allows me to program my schedule based on historical weather data, then it will adjust based on current conditions (temp, humidity, freeze stop, and rain delay). The rest of my system is using all Hunter MP Rotator heads, Hunter PRS40 nozzles with check valves, and Netafim Techline CV (can’t get more efficient than that so far as I know). While this is all great, I still believe I can save more water, which is why I am looking at soil moisture sensors.

What I would like to do, is use my current system to set the schedules and determine the maximum amount of water my landscape receives. Secondly, I would like to find a soil moisture sensor product that simply measures the moisture, determines if it is adequate, and if it is, shuts down the watering. It may not even have to communicate with the controller, but rather serve as a bypass switch that blocks the controller signal from the valve.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to make such a system work?

Thanks,

Mike