I was running into the same problem with my Windows 8 tablet. When I clicked on Detect Device it would cause the OS to boot up and then it would fail to upload or detect the device unless I shut it down and started over.
Here are the steps I took and it worked for me:
- I did not have the Firmware Updater started on the tablet
- Connect the USB cable to my tablet.
- Plugin the USB cable to the OS while holding down B2.
- Release B2 after 1 second
- Wait for the tablet to beep; indicating that the OS was recognized by the computer
- Launch the Firmware update software
- DO NOT DO AUTO DETECT…the LCD screen on the OS should stay blank. If it doesn’t restart the process.
- Select the Device from the drop down….in my case it is OpenSprinkler_v2.1
- Select the Firmware to upload
- Click Upload Firmware
Hope that helps!