OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Does Open Sprinkler AC have power supply minimum/maximum amperage? Reply To: Does Open Sprinkler AC have power supply minimum/maximum amperage?

davethomaspilot
Participant

What guideline do you think I should use for the sum of all currents in an OSPi? What trace temperature rise will result?

The LED lights run on 12VAC, not DC. They have some sort of controller built in, so I worry that even trying 12VDC might damage them.

On using 24VAC relays to switch the 12VAC…

I don’t have any 24VAC nearby. So, I’d have to add an outdoor, 120VAC to 24VAC transformer then route both 24VAC and 12VAC to the OSPi enclosure, or route 120VAC and use a local transformer inside the OSPI weatherproof enclosure to get the 24VAC needed for the sprinkler valves.

It seemed better to use a transformer to double the 12VAC that’s already there to run the sprinkler valves. This would only require the small “12 0 12” transformer and could easily fit in the same weatherproof enclosure.

But that’s really the question. Should I add the 24VAC relays and a 120VAC to 24VAC transformer so I don’t have to hack the OSPI? Probably, but still thinking about it.

Thanks!