OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Free Weather Underground API keys for PWS non-commercial users Reply To: Free Weather Underground API keys for PWS non-commercial users

franzstein
Participant

@Samer: Netatmo weather stations and the accompanied Netatmo or Meteoware Plus weather services don’t provide any means to connect to OpenWeatherMap. For this reason I don’t think that the change to OWM will be a solution for me in the near future?

Looking for an alternative to OWM, I have programmed a ESP32 NodeMCU to retrieve weather data from WeatherUnderground’s new API, perform the Zimmerman calculation and update the OpenSprinkler’s water level. Details are available at my GitHub repository.

The hardware used are a ESP32 NodeMCU Board and a USB power supply. There is some understanding of installing the ESP32 on the Arduino IDE and some programming effort needed to get the ESP32 working. However, it is a low-cost solution providing mainly the same functionality in regards to garden watering as the “old” OpenSprinkler WU Interface.

Attachments: