OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Port Forwarding on Mobile Hotspot? Reply To: Port Forwarding on Mobile Hotspot?

ygreq
Participant

So I guess nobody knows how to set this up? I am also trying to figure out a solution. My only internet connection is also a 4G smartphone left on location.I solved a few of the hurdles, but I am stuck at setting up port forwarding.

For now this is what I set up so others might follow, considering it is the right way to go, that is. 🙂 I am also considering setting up a hotspot for people coming to the garden. So here goes:

1. Share my 4G mobile data via a WiFi router

-I found this great tutorial for setting things up: https://youtu.be/4ykqFgJi-ZE
-Open your 4G mobile hotspot on your smartphone
-Connect to your router via a pc and navigate to Wireless Settings and tick mark on ENABLE WDS
-Now click on survey/scan. A list with all the available wifi networks would now popup.
-Click on the connect button corresponding to the network you want to bridge. Note the channel.
-Now enter the security key of hotspot wifi and see that the channel is same as of the host router. If not, manually change it from drop down list to the channel you’ve noted down instead of auto. Use WifiInfoView windows app to check channels for all wifis including the host router.
-Set password for newly created wifi
-Go to DHCP and disable it
-Reboot router (button is on the DHCP page)

Now you can connect to the internet via router wifi. (Not possible to connect to the internet via ethernet)

2. Setup fixed local IP addresses.

To setup fixed local addresses, you have to make DHCP available and to do this, you need to add another router. More info here: https://youtu.be/4ykqFgJi-ZE?t=385

-Connect another router to the first router
-Enable DHCP for new router to setup fixed IPs
-Connect ethernet cable from host Router (LAN port) to extended Router (WAN port)
-Disable Broadcast SSID of root router

3. Setup Android so that you always have the hotspot on

-Activate Hotspot
-Set password and SSID
-Turn off Hotspot Timeout
-To start Hotspot with Android do the following:

-Install Tasker app (there is a trial, but you can buy as well)
-Create a Profile which allows triggering of the Task after boot:
-Go to Profiles Tab and click “+”
-Event → System → Device Boot
-Tap back to exit from this window
-You will notice as soon as you exit, you will be prompted to link this Profile to a Task;
-Scroll all the way up the Task list select “New Task + ”
-You can name this Task AutoTethering or anything.
-Click “+” to add new Action: Net → WiFi Tether (Set On)
-Press back the way all back until you exit Tasker (your profile is now saved and is ready for execution)
-Extras: Give Tasker more priority (allow auto-start for Tasker, exclude from battery optimisations, task killers etc)
-Explanation: Soon after boot, the first action turns on Wi-Fi tethering (note: Tasker already has a built in WiFi Tether variable which is capable of handling tethering state)
-At the end, Set on and Keep Wi-Fi when turning on Check

4.Setup port forwarding for the 4G Mobile Network

And now I am at stuck. Any ideas on how to solve this? BTW, do you think it is overkill?

Let me know!