OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Questions on running an OS local weather service for a Netatmo Weather Station Reply To: Questions on running an OS local weather service for a Netatmo Weather Station

Peter
Participant

@skynet, it is possible to use WeeWX and a local Weather Service to connect your Netatmo PWS to OpenSprinkler.

However, most of the instructions to do this assume you are using a Raspberry Pi (see HERE for end-to-end Netatmo guide). I dont know of any equivalent end-to-end guide for a Synology specific setup. My suggestion would be to use a RPi in this situation, if you have OSPi then you can use that.

If you really want to go down the Synology route then below are some pointers but you will need to adapt them to your situation and the Synology operating system:

A) Install NodeJS on the Synology: A good guide is this LINK. Follow the instructions for Package Centre and also to test that node js works using the little “test.js” script. Dont bother setting up node to restart when the Synology boots up just yet as we can do that later

B) Install Weather Service on Synology: The instructions to install the Weather Service on a Synology are very similar to installing on a Raspberry Pi and can be found HERE. Follow steps 2-5.

C) Install WeeWX on the Synology: I haven’t seen a specific installation guide for WeeWX on a Synology NAS but you might be able to follow the generic WeeWX instructions HERE.

D) Configure WeeWX for Netatmo: The steps to register your Netatmo PWS with their cloud service and then install a Netatmo plug-in for WeeWX is provided HERE with Step 3 onward.

E) Ensure Weather Service Will Auto-Start: To ensure that the Weather Service will automatically start whenever the Synology boots then go back to the Synology video LINK and right at the end it shows an example script that needs to be created in /etc/init directory. Do this but delete the line with “setuid” and change the the reference to the “test.js” file to the “server.js” file in the Weather Service directory.

F) Test the Set-Up: Go back to the standard instructions for installing a local Weather Service HERE and follow steps 7 and 8.