OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Controller lockups / crashes with wired Ethernet module Reply To: Controller lockups / crashes with wired Ethernet module

Ray
Keymaster

Hi Wendell, I am still trying to debugging this issue for you. While I haven’t been able to reproduce the symptoms you reported, I have reasons to believe that this may have to do with DNS timeout issue. To check if this is the case, I would suggest you do the following:

1. turn off NTP sync (or set it to a valid NTP server IP, instead of leaving it as 0.0.0.0. When it’s set to 0.0.0.0 it will use pool.ntp.org by default).
2. temporarily disable IFTTT, MQTT if you are using either of them.
3. go to http://x.x.x.x/su and change weather.opensprinkler.com to 192.241.180.46 (this is the IP address of the weather server).
4. then reboot your controller.

Basically, the above steps will eliminate all DNS requests. The reason to try this out is that while looking at the UIPEthernet library, I discovered that occasionally the DNS requests may fail (this highly depends on your particular network setup) and this failure could lead to the ethernet controller’s TCP/IP stack getting messed up. I am not completely sure of this theory but it’s worth a try.