OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware OS says “empty response” from local weather service (after update) Reply To: OS says “empty response” from local weather service (after update)

franzstein
Participant

I encountered the same issue with often getting the OpenSprinkler “Empty Response” from my local weather service installed on a Raspberry PI. I encountered this issue with OpenSprinkler Firmware 2.1.9 (4), 2.1.9 (7) and actual with 2.1.9 (9). I think it’s not caused by the recent firmware update. The “Empty Response” isn’t always reported. Most of the time the weather service is requested successfully.

I’ve done some investigations in June with OpenSprinkler Firmware 2.1.9 (4), and it is maybe worth to share my findings. My WiFi setup consists of a Fritz!Box 7590, a WiFi Repeater Fritz!WLANRepeater 310 and two PowerLines Fritz!PowerLine 1240E, Fritz!Powerline 1260E; all organized as a Mesh System. The Fritz!Box allows for monitoring and analyzing the intranet and internet traffic via WireShark. The OpenSprinkler installed in my garage connects to the WiFi Repeater as this is the nearest local network access. What I can see from the WireShark reports is, that there is no response data missing at all. Please have a look at the attached log files.

Please note that I used a private firmware compilation that requests the weather service every 20 minutes to get this log files. I only changed the CHECK_WEATHER_TIMEOUT parameter in this compilation. Everything remains unattached.

However, I’m not sure if the Fritz!Box capture feature really monitors the intranet traffic between the WiFi repeater and the OpenSprinkler? The data traffic logged is more likely what is captured in or close to the Fritz!Box? It might be interesting to move the OpenSprinkler next to the Fritz!Box, to see if the issue still exists, if no WiFi repeater is involved. I think I will investigate this during the winter season. I don’t need the OpenSprinkler garage installation during this time of the year.

I can still think of let’s say an OpenSprinkler runtime error or some overload problem causing this “Empty Response” – issue. Let’s see if the OpenSprinkler team has some ideas what to do?