Thanks for the information. I figured out what my problem was and will explain even though it’s a little embarrassing. I went to a remote location (away from my home network) where a wifi connection was available. I was able to connect to my open sprinkler controller without issue. This made me realize the problem was in my cellular connection. I went to settings and cellular data in my iphone and discovered that the open sprinkler app had cellular data disabled. DOH! I’m writing this just in case it might help someone else who makes the same mistake. Thanks again for your responses. Best regards.
The remote connectivity allowed me to turn off my sprinkler before it ran through a big rain storm. Further, my new OS display arrived today:-)