OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Opensprinkler on ESP8266

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 139 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Kunstflieger 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)
  • Author

Daijoubu
    Participant

I’ve modded by ESP8266-Pro module from RobotDyn, lifted the flash chip’s PIN 3 and 7 and connected them to VCC, previously already flashed in DIO mode using ESP Flash Download tool.

Was able to use GPIO 9 and 10 to blink LEDs no problem, so 9 GPIOs free if I keep UART and I2C

I had some troubles with the inrush current of the 2000uF capacitor charging, was initially using a 2A boost converter module with a small SOT23 MT3608 IC but its built-in soft start wasn’t that great and the 5V USB power adapter goes into over current protection for a couple of secs until it’s charged up.

I then switched to a common XL6009 based QSKJ 4A boost converter and that one seems to far better (also have an ENable pin broken out if I have enough GPIOs to make use of it)

Also, if I don’t disconnect the boost converter’s output after charging up the cap and try to switch on the valve, it will keep sinking lots of current and you see the LEDs dim, had I have the ESP8266 connected for that test, no doubt it will reset.

So either have a separate PSU for the ESP8266 and a beefy 24V PSU just for the valves (of which I do have a spare one) or find some sort of way to limit the in-rush current as well as to disconnect the boost converter, using a MOSFET perhaps?

As for the L298, with its output paralleled, I was able to switch on/off the valve at 24V/2000uF during my test.

pbecchi
    Participant

I really think that , to make sense, the latching solenoids should be operated on batteries.
    Otherwise the additional cost , complexity and the lower reliability versus 24v Ac it is not justifiable.
    In my case using Lipo batteries the charging current is not a problem and there is also the simple and cheap solution to use a 9v or 12v batteries for the solenoid and a separate one for the Esp.

Daijoubu
    Participant

I already bought 2 of these Orbit DC latching valves and I do like that they require no power to stay on.

The valve control is working fine now, I used a 2 channel relay board I had laying around as high side switches at the input and output of the boost converter, I can open the close the valve just fine with 20V and 2000uF, the valve sees about 18V.

Been shopping for MOSFETs, all logic level 3.3V TO-220 are expensive at $3-4 a pop, may end up using an N-channel AO3404/IRLML0030TRPbF or P-channel AO3407, pretty cheap on eBay ($3-4/100pcs) and relatively inexpensive even at Digikey at $5-6/10.

Since I have no experience with them, perhaps I’ll get the cheaper SOT23 to play with and if I fry them, no harm done 🙂

pbecchi
    Participant

Sorry but I am not the guy that can help you on your h bridge electronic design.
    All my circuit are very simple and basic.
    Regarding voltage for latching solenoid operations, in my experience 12v constant are more than enough to operate most of the valve’s, but this is true because I use a battery.
    If you use a capacitor the voltage will drop immediately when you open your circuit….
    So you need to start well above 12v.
    If you want you can find in the market signal relay that can be connected to a Esp gpio for about 1$ each, I think is the simplest and cheaper solution!

alexelite
    Participant

Hello all,

First I want to thank everyone involved in this great project.

I compiled firmware 2.1.7 and 2.1.8 on Arduino IDE 1.8.5, for a breadboard setup, but wifi connectivity did not work properly. The AP was visible but I could not connect to it. After using the test mode found in 2.1.8, things did not improve. Long story short, after a few days tinkering with the code I managed to pinpoint the problem to the function “ui_state_machine()”. Commenting it solved the problem, wifi working in ap mode and in station mode. Digging even deeper i thing the problem is somewhere in PCF8574 functions. When reading the buttons state the sketch loops to long without a delay() or a yield() and the network processes don’t get called.
    This is pretty weird considering there are almost no external libs and the code is what Ray and everyone else uses, and works.
    Moving the buttons on ESP8266 GPIOs fixes the issue. I tried esp8266 core 2.4.0 and 2.4.1, no change.

Did anybody encounter this behavior? Could my PCF8574 be defective?

Ray
    Keymaster

If you use the stock OpenSprinkler firmware — it assumes you have buttons, which on OpenSprinkler main board are connected to the PCF8574 IO expander. If you don’t have that, the ui_state_machine will probably cause problems as it will read button status incorrectly.

Jisse154
    Participant

Hello all
    First of all, thanks Ray and all others for your work on this project.

After 3 evenings trying to solve my problem, I see no other solution than to ask for your help. I am trying to upload opensprinkler master firmware in a esp8266 dev nodemcu.
    I am using arduino IDE 1.8.9 with ESP8266 CORE 2.5.2. I have compiled using mainArduino.ino and flash the firmware without any errors via serial USB, however the ESP8266 crash and enter on cycling reset loop with this msg:

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
    tail 8
    chksum 0x2d
    csum 0x2d
    v8b899c12
    ~ld

others have been facing to this problem but on my case, I cannot solve it.

here attached my setup:
    is it correct?
    Thanks for your support

Ray
    Keymaster

I would not recommend compiling the code with ESP8266 core 2.5 yet because it has not been tested with core 2.5. The stock firmware has only been compiled with CORE 2.4.1. I am pretty sure some part of the code has to be changed when transitioning to 2.5 and I haven’t had time to figure that out yet.

Jisse154
    Participant

Thanks Ray for your reply.

I still have the probleme.
    A watchdog reset occurs after the firmware upload

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(1,6)

wdt reset

to compile without error, I have changed the updater.h lib to include reset function and also rename Time.cpp and Time.h.
    do I have to change something else?

Ray
    Keymaster

Not sure. If you are using your own hardware, the best way to find out is to turn on debugging (#define SERIAL_DEBUG) and watch the serial output (baud rate 115200) to see where it triggers the watchdog timer reset.

Ray
    Keymaster

Not sure. If you are using your own hardware, the best way to find out is to turn on debugging (#define SERIAL_DEBUG) and watch the serial output (baud rate 115200) to see where it triggers the watchdog timer reset.

Jisse154
    Participant

I have uncommented the #define SERIAL_DEBUG on define.h and put a DEBUG_PRINT just after the DEBUG_BEGIN(115200) on main.h. After the firmware upload, I don’t see anything on the serial monitor except the watchdog reset as previously.

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(1,6)

wdt reset

I am not sur to use the debug function correctly!?

Daijoubu
    Participant

Does it also reset when not connected to the breadboard?
    Make sure you’re not pulling over the 1A the AMS1117 can provide on the 3.3V rail and check to make sure the GPIOs are in the correct state to boot from flash

GPIO 0: HIGH
    GPIO 2: HIGH
    GPIO 15: LOW

It’s possible your NodeMCU (or clone) is poorly implemented as with chinesium jelly bean parts

Jisse154
    Participant

Hi,

thanks for your support. I ‘m finally solved my issue removing #include <Wire.h> on mainArduino.ino.

Mouad
    Participant

Hello,

I am trying to upload opensprinkler master firmware in a esp8266 dev nodemcu.
    I have compiled using mainArduino.ino and flash the firmware without any errors via serial USB, however the ESP8266 crash and enter on cycling reset loop with this msg:

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
    tail 8
    chksum 0x2d
    csum 0x2d
    v8b899c12
    ~ld

I Am Used RTS DS3231 and I2C LCD For test

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Mouad.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Opensprinkler on ESP8266