OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) 4 Station RPi3 Hardware has me stumped

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

zer0
    Participant

Hey all, hoping somebody can point me in some troubleshooting direction to figure this out. Setup is as follows:

OpenSprinkler Pi
    Raspberry Pi 3
    4 zones (no extra sensors)

In getting everything up and running, I’m able to get zone 1 working with a test program with zero issues. Attempting to run a test program on stations 2-4 (or even 2-8) does not work. At all. Zones 1 and 2 use the same sprinkler heads (small fan spray), zones 3 and 4 use larger rotating heads. I’ve tried 2 OSPi boards, 2 RPis, 2 MicroSD cards (8gb each), installed Raspbian Jessie on every attempt (Lite, Full, NOOBS (with GPIO edit, unneeded)), and nothing. The valves aren’t even buzzing like they’re trying to work.

Moving all of the wires back to the old Orbit controller that was used will trigger every zone and they work just fine, so I know it’s not an issue with functionality of the sprinklers/valves, it has to be some communication error with the OSPi.

Any/all advice or input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Ray
    Keymaster

Have you already submitted a support ticket for this? If not, here are some suggestions:
    – Double check the wiring: common wire goes to COM terminal block, and each zone wire should go to an individual zone port.
    – I am not sure what you meant by ‘zones 1 and 2 use the same sprinkler head’ — are zones 1 and 2 sharing the same wire?
    – How did you run a test program? Did you click on a zone and manually turned it on, or did you create a test program and start the program manually? Once the test program is started, what did the homepage show? Did it show one of the valve running?

zer0
    Participant

I’ve submitted a ticket, was just hoping maybe others had some different ideas from what we’ve tried.

Double check the wiring: common wire goes to COM terminal block, and each zone wire should go to an individual zone port.
    COM wire is in the left slot of the terminal block, each zone wire is in the zone block, slots 1-4

I am not sure what you meant by ‘zones 1 and 2 use the same sprinkler head’ — are zones 1 and 2 sharing the same wire?
    They are not using the same wire, just the sprinklers themselves are the same type (small fan-spray head, others are large rotating heads)

How did you run a test program? Did you click on a zone and manually turned it on, or did you create a test program and start the program manually?
    I’ve done both, but primarily will manually turn it on from the main page of the app

Once the test program is started, what did the homepage show? Did it show one of the valve running?
    The app/homepage is working sufficiently, and shows that the test is running (turns green and moves to the top of the page)

I’ve also measured the resistance, and each COM/zone wire pair is within 26-50 Ohm, and cleaned/restripped the wires to ensure connectivity.

Ray
    Keymaster

According to your description, the only explanation I can think of is hardware-related — either RPi is not plugged into OSPI tightly, causing the connection to be flaky, or the shift register on OSPi is defective (but you said zone 1 works, and frankly the chance that the shift register is defective except on one zone is quite slim, so I can’t explain why this is happening).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) 4 Station RPi3 Hardware has me stumped