OpenSprinkler is an open-source, web-based smart sprinkler controller for lawn and plant watering, drip irrigation, farm irrigation, hydroponics etc. OpenSprinkler is accessible through any modern browser or via our free mobile app available for most mobile platforms. The current version is OS 3.2, with built-in WiFi (based on ESP8266) and OLED display. You can choose between AC-powered, DC-powered, or Latch version. OpenSprinkler supports a variety of solenoid valves (24VAC, Latch, DC, motorized ball valve etc.) Take a look at FAQs for common questions, and Getting Started Guide for details of version 3.2. Among the new features, 3.2 supports built-in WiFi (ESP8266), Over-the-Air (OTA) firmware update, and 2 independent sensors.
EU (particularly German) customers: check this page for OpenSprinkler EU distributor.
If you prefer wired Ethernet connection, select the ‘Ethernet Add-on Module’. With this module, the controller has dual support for WiFi and wired Ethernet.
The 24VAC/500mA transformer that we sell is NOT suitable to run more than 2 valves at the same time (i.e. concurrent/simultaneous zones). If you need to run more valves at the same time, please find a transformer with larger current rating.
Quick guide on how to choose the correct version of OpenSprinkler
- If you have a pump start relay, go with AC-powered OpenSprinkler. It’s compatible with all 24VAC pump start relays and 24VAC sprinkler valves.
- If you have latching solenoid valves, go with the Latch version — this is the only version that support latching valves.
- Otherwise, you can choose either DC-powered or AC-powered OpenSprinkler. DC-powered has a price advantage; in addition, it can be powered off-grid by solar or battery, and it’s compatible with both 24VAC sprinkler valves as well as DC non-latching valves.
- AC-powered version requires a 24VAC sprinkler transformer (NOT included by default but can be purchased as add-on). It is designed to work with 24VAC valves only. If you have a 24VAC pump start relay, this is the recommended version.
- DC-powered version uses a 7.5VDC power adapter, included in the package for all orders shipped to US/Canada/Mexico (excluded for other countries). It is designed to work with both 24VAC solenoid valves as well as DC non-latching (e.g. 12VDC) solenoid valves or fish-tank pumps. The power options are flexible: you can power it with any DC adapter that outputs voltage between 7.5VDC to 12VDC, or use solar panel (12VDC). It does NOT work with all 24VAC pump start relays — if you have a 24VAC pump start relay, we recommend the AC-powered version. For details about how DC-powered controller works, please refer to this blog post.
- Latch version uses a 7.5VDC power adapter, included in the package for all orders shipped to US/Canada/Mexico (excluded for other countries). It’s designed to work with latching solenoid valves only. The power options are flexible: you can power it with any DC adapter that outputs voltage between 7.5VDC to 12VDC, or use solar panel (12VDC).
- Intuitive User Interface — no more messing with buttons and knobs, no more running to your garage to make a single change to your sprinkler programs. Instead, use web browsers and our free mobile apps to access OpenSprinkler from anywhere, whether you are at home, at office, or away traveling.
- Smart Control — our weather algorithm automatically adjusts your sprinkler run times using real-time weather data. It not only stops watering when it rains, but also adjusts the water time on a continuous scale based on your local weather conditions.
- Expandable — 8 zones on the main controller; expandable to 72 zones with OpenSprinkler expansion boards. Have more than 72 zones? Our app can manage multiple OpenSprinkler systems for limitless expansion.
- Compatibility — OpenSprinkler is a drop-in replacement of conventional sprinkler controllers. It supports master zone / pump start relay, rain sensor, flow sensor, program start switch, and has buttons and an LCD for manual control on the controller.
- Advanced Features — OpenSprinkler supports advanced features that you rarely find on other competitor products, such as support for remote stations, radio frequency (RF) stations, flow sensor, dual master stations, repeating program start times, multi-language support.
- Open-Source — OpenSprinkler is built on open-source software and hardware. Its design files are publicly available on Github. Our mission is to educate and to leverage community wisdom to help make the best sprinkler controller. If you have technical skills, you can extend its capability in any way you need.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Check out the OpenSprinkler Support page for tutorial videos, user manual, and API documentation.
- Volume discount available (starting with 5 units).
- One OpenSprinkler controller
- Quick Starter Guide
- For DC-powered or Latch controller shipped to US/Canada/Mexico: 7.5VDC universal power adapter. (This power adapter is excluded for orders shipped to other countries)
AC-powered Controller Valve Compatibility:
DC-powered Controller Valve Compatibility: