OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler ac or dc version

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dgrawr
    Participant

for a new installation, it appears that the DC version might be preferred. i plan to use off the shelf 24vac valves (and landscape lighting via the 2.1.1-supported remote power sockets). what are the considerations for deciding which version (ac or dc) of OpenSprinkler to get?

thanks. dgr

Ray
    Keymaster

I generally recommend the DC-powered version, because it’s more flexible in terms of power options. You can power it with a USB adapter (through USB cable), or the included power adapter, or 12V DC solar panel. The DC-powered version has been tested with many off-the-shelf 24VAC valves, and also pump start relays, and have worked well with them.

abreuma677
    Participant

Sorry about bumping an old thread. Just joined here and have the same question. I currently have a late 1990’s vintage Rainbird 6-zone controller with an external 24VAC wall wort plugged in next to it. The other 115VAC outlet in that spot is running a refrigerator. I just want to replace the Rainbird so I can get to it from my phone outside the house. I’m trying to figure out which Opensprinkler 3.0 power option I should be buying? To me it seems like buying the 24VAC version is my best bet for a simple replacement. Have I missed something? (Wanted to add that I’d probably buy another 24VAC power supply anyway since the one I have is old at this point.)

Samer
    Keymaster

That is the easiest solution if you don’t want to replace the power adapter however the DC version will also drive AC valves but would require a different power supply (included with the DC version).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler ac or dc version