OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Bought an Open Sprinkler DC powered w/ extension : Is this power supply ok?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jskogsta
    Participant

Kindest,

I have just bought an Open Sprinkler DC with an expansion board (+ ehternet port). Given I live in Australia I opted to buy a local power supply here, which I did today. From what I have briefly researched, it should be sufficient. It’s from Jaycar and its a Powertech Plus 12V DC 2.5A rated power supply. I have taken a photo of it and shared it here:

Front photo – and – Back photo

The main controller will be 5-6m away from the solenoids, but the expansion board will be 25-30m away, so was planning to use reasonably heavy gauge cable to ensure there’s little loss with that long distance.

Just wanted to check with you gurus out there whether this would be ok and sufficient for my setup.

Appreciate any inputs!

Thanks in advance!

/Jorgen

• This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by jskogsta.

Transformer
    Participant

I came here searching for exactly this same answer (I live in Adelaide). I’m also wondering whether there would be any negative consequence of using a power adapter with current capability greater than 2.5A (to keep it cooler, less stressed).

jskogsta
    Participant

Yeah – have not fired it up yet, but crossing my fingers its all good. Will have the electrician put up a range of power points where I will concentrate outdoor lights and stuff like this. Though comparing to the US power supply, this should be more than enough… but new to this, so figured I would check with the gurus here. We’re based outside of Melbourne ourselves, but must admit we really like Adelaide! 😉

Transformer
    Participant

Keep us informed.

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes, the power adapter (12VDC, 2.5A) is fine. If you want to double check, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage, the polarity should be center positive, side negative (this is the most common type). DC-powered OpenSprinkler can accept any DC voltage in the range of 7.5VDC to 12VDC, with a minimum of 1 amp output current. More than 1 amp (such as 2.5 amp) is totally fine, and it allows you to open mutliple valves at the same time, but is not necessary if you only ever run one or two valves at the same time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Bought an Open Sprinkler DC powered w/ extension : Is this power supply ok?