OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) compatibility with Rasberry pi 3b+

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

framar97
    Participant

I have a OpenSprinkler Pi running with a Raspberry Pi 3. Now I have to replace the model 3B with a new one. Can I buy a new model 3B+ ? Is it fully compatible? Or it is better if I take an old model 3B (without plus)?
    Thank you, Francesco

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes it’s compatible with 3B+. The only thing you should be aware of is that if you have USB devices connected to 3B+, the power supplied by OSPi may not be sufficient to drive those, so in some cases you may have to plug in a microUSB cable connected to a USB power source to provide additional power. Other than that, all software/hardware features are the same across all RPi versions.

rszimm
    Participant

Ray, what am I missing regarding powering the 3B+. It seems the LM2596 supplies up to 3A of current. The Opensprinkler Pi hardware only draws minimal current from the 5V, so nearly 3A for the pi and peripherals seems like way more than enough.

Ray
    Keymaster

The issue is not so much with LM2596, rather, it’s the fact that this is deriving power all from the 24VAC power supply, and it might not have sufficient power to drive both solenoids and RPi. For example, the 24VAC adapter we sell is only rated 500mA — so that’s about 15Watt, while at peak power RPi B+ could draw close to 15Watt, leaving no room for solenoids.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) compatibility with Rasberry pi 3b+