Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Garman
    Participant

I would like to connect a monitor to my OSPi, so I bought a HDMI to DVI-D connector so that I can connect a spare monitor that i have, but when I opened the case I noticed that there are 2 tall resistors (I think) on the OSPi board that is blocking the HDMI port on the Raspberry pi, is there a workaround for this?

Samer
    Keymaster

It is possible to use wires to attach the pins from the OSPi to the OS which would free up the space to plug in your HDMI cable.

Garman
    Participant

Would it then still fit in the case, the reason this is a problem for me is that whenever I lose connection to the OSPI, I have no way of doing a “safe” shut down, so I get a corrupt SD card and have to re-image the SD card losing all my settings and logs.

Samer
    Keymaster

This is exactly why I prefer the Arduino for the sprinkler system application over the Pi. The Pi comes with additional complexity which needs to be accounted for.

With that said, it likely won’t fit in the case if you try to use your own wiring. Does SSH stop working as well? If so, you might have an underlying issue causing the Pi/OS to lockup. If that’s the case, you can look into using a watchdog to reboot the Pi for you.

Wokkeltje
    Participant

Glad to here other people have issues with corrupt Rpi SD cards.

To me it looks a verry unstable device.
    I have a Rpi2 with a brand new 16GB class 10 SD Card and sometimes after a simple reboot during a software update (not OS related) it is corrupt.

anybody has a good solution for this problem?

bryanmee
    Participant

You might try another SD card from a major manufacturer (SanDisk or Samsung) to verify that it is not a card issue.

Garman
    Participant

I actually tried another card (Patriot), took the OPSI to my desk, connected it to a monitor that had a composite input, re-installed the firmware, rebooted, configured, then rebooted to make sure everything works. I then shut down, disconnected the network & monitor and took it to the garage and reconnected it there and powered it up. Now I cannot reach it on my network (it is hard wired) I connected other network device to switch and they can be reached, moved the Ethernet cable to the port on the switch that the other device that worked was connected to and nothing.
    I even tried blindly logging in and doing a doing a reboot, but with no screen I have no idea what state the OPSI is in. If only those two capacitors (not resistors) were not blocking the HDMI port I would just cut a hole in the case for a HDMI cable and I would know was going on ~sigh~, I am dreading disconnecting and and taking it back down to my office to start over <again>.

cuteboi
    Participant

Set the SDcard to read only. No corruption possible. The rPI will not work as intended, logs will not be set, but if you’re using a remote syslog server, you can catch it all there instead of locally. This is how the little WRT routers worked.

Ray
    Keymaster

I am not sure about the RPi SD card corrupt issue: I have a test RPi 2 running for several weeks and I’ve not had any corruption issue.

Wokkeltje
    Participant

Running without a reboot is no issue, it is after a reboot the SDCard becomes corrupt (or is corrupt and failes during reboot)

What type of SDCard do you use? I have a Transend Class10 16GB.

Garman
    Participant

The problems is that there is no way to attach a monitor, so if I cannot connect to the OSPi with SSH, then I m running blind. SO I have to shut it down by pulling the power cord, this is a bad thing to and can corrupt the card. It is not easy to see if the leds are blinking, SO I plug in a monitor, enter to key strokes to log in, hoping that it is working, I then enter the Sudo Halt, wait a bit then pull the plug. That is where a lack of a monitor comes in. I don’t know if I logged in successfully or if the Halt command was executed. If those two caps were not in the way I could plug in a monitor and troubleshoot if I cannot SSH to the OPSI. In fact today I removed the PI from the SO board plugged in a monitor and was able to do some trouble shooting.

cuteboi
    Participant

I thought if there was no HDMI on the rPI, it wont initialize the hdmi port at all. Or is that just the BBB?

Regardless, if you have a monitor connected to it, I’m sure you don’t need the rPI in the same enclosure as the OS. Have you considered using your own enclosure for the rPI and use a ribbon cable to and from the OS to the rPI through the LCD hole? that would free up a lot of access to the rPI and not clutter up the inside of the case. If you consider connecting a backup camera screen to the rpi, you can leave that in the same area as the rpi/os, and have a nice display that can possibly have some nice graphics or just a simple ncurses based app showing the current status of the rPI, like htop?

Garman
    Participant

I have considered that and will probably be ordering a cable and a case for the RPi, but my thought is that the additional expense would be totally unnecessary if the HDMI port was not blocked by the capacitors, all I would have had to do is to cut an opening in the case so that the HDMi cable could be connected; a more elegant solution IMHO

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.