OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions How do I connect accesories like 433MHz RF and DHT22 Temp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Marius

Hello,

I purchased 433MHz RF and DHT22 Temp sensor with my Opensprinkler DYI v2.1u and would like some help getting them going. To start, I would very much like to know where on the board I would connect them. Is there any documentation that could help? Thank you in advance.

Marius

Ray
    Keymaster

The RF transmitter can be directly soldered to the GND-VIN-A3 pinouts on the left of the Ethernet jack (the pinouts are labeled ‘RF’).

There are no direct pinouts for the DHT22 sensor, however, you can use any of the available pins in the general pinout area (above the LCD) to interface with DHT22. All you need is VCC, GND, and any available data pin, for example IN2.

When programming in Arduino, you need to provide the digital pin number. I am listing the digital pin numbers below:
    A3 : 28
    IN2: 2
    A05: 26
    A06: 25
    A07: 24
    RXD: 8
    TXD: 9

cfponder
    Participant

Hello,

Does anyone have any additional tips for adding temperature sensors?

I know how to do this with a stand alone Arduino Uno and hard wiring sensor(s) to the Opensprinkler board shouldn’t be too difficult (I’ve utilized the onboard NO relay contacts to control my garage door, which was relatively easy to do), but any tips or forum threads on the topic would be very helpful.  I’m especially interested in how individuals modified the sketches to display temperature(s) on the LCD display and via web page.

Ray
    Keymaster

Unlike other analog sensors, DHT22 requires only a digital pin (and on OpenSprinkler all analog pins can be used as digital pins as well). Adafruit has a tutorial on it:
    https://learn.adafruit.com/dht
    Basically you just need VCC, GND, and any spare pin to connect to DHT22. You do have to modify the firmware to read the value from DHT22. You can also display it to the LCD.

If you prefer using other sensors, like the MCP9700 analog sensor, you can use any of the spare analog pins.

cfponder
    Participant

Hi  Ray,

I’ve worked with the digital DHT11 and the DS18b20 sensors and know how to work with the related libraries and sketches, but what I’m most interested in is seeing examples of how others have specifically done theirs in relation to modifying the Opensprinkler code.  I’ve downloaded the latest version from (https://github.com/rayshobby/opensprinkler) and have viewed it, but just haven’t taken the next step of trying to modify it much “yet”…

I have done research / testing with these sensors (DHT11 and the DS18b20 in addition to other sensor / devices) from a stand alone Arduino Uno via the IDE program serial output and will do more once I receive an LCD screen and Ethernet shield that I have ordered.  I previously ordered a cheap W5100 based ethernet shield off ebay, but unfortunately haven’t been able to get it to work correctly after trying multiple libraries and example sketches (to help minimize the possibility of some unknown incompatibility issue or a mistake on my part) so there is a chance that it could just be a dud even though the link lights and such appear to work.  As mentioned, I have ordered another mid priced one from a vendor that is supposed to be US based and therefore not take 3+ weeks to receive which is normal for the numerous over seas vendors plastered all over ebay and Amazon selling Arduino related products….

Any tips, code examples, forum thread links, etc. that you or others could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions How do I connect accesories like 433MHz RF and DHT22 Temp