OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Interval Program – Manual Control During Rain Sensor Delay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

chickenmad
    Participant

The interval program has logic built into it that prevents manual control or “run once” programs from operating during rain sensor triggers. From speaking with my sprinkler guy, rain sensors trigger after an accumulation and keep the system off during the evaporation of the accumulation within the unit and this is what he calibrates i.e. in mine the vent is closed and the accumulation must reach 1/8#. While adding a head to a new planting zone a day following heavy rains I noticed that you have to switch off the rain sensor option in order to manually control/run once the controller. While on the surface this makes sense it doesnt when you think of the operator – me – knowing better than the sensor. Now I have to remember to turn the option back on after this activity.

I’ll see if I cant change the code to remove this dependency.

Mostly an OCD thing as my Cacti charts of the rain sensor are not accurate due to shutting off the option 😉

scottsh
    Participant

You can configure an individual station/zone to ignore the rain sensor. Manual or Run Once works just fine for those zones.

For your use case, I’d configure that zone to ignore the rain sensor until the plants are established and your ready for it to participate.

However, in general, I can kind of see your point – that manual execution should always override the automated behavior.

Dan in CA
    Participant

I think it makes sense for manual mode to override rain delay. It should be an easy tweak.

I’ll consider it unless someone has a reason not to.

Dan

rederikus
    Participant

I am for the above too.

While you are at the code, would it be possible to log when the rain sensor is enabled and disabled? I ask this for two reasons:
    1). to see such events actually logged in the log file.
    2). I use a Rain Bird WR2 rain sensor and this has its own delays and options such as temperature low limit and depth of rainfall that stop watering based upon these settings. It also has an evaporative system (4 leather washers) that impose their own watering delay. These parameters are only viewable on the WR2’s screen.

rederikus
    Participant

We are currently having a summer storm here in Charlotte NC. My OSPi is showing the “Suppressed By Rain Sensor” message.

The trouble is, my irrigation system watered the yard last night at 4:30 AM. The Log says so.

There is no fault. Rather there is a problem with displaying current information on the Home screen whilst prior data is also displayed. The problem here occurs due to the Rain being current and the earlier irrigation program having already run. The fix is simple on paper. Simply paint the period where the rain is detected a different color on the background of the home screen graphical display. Like I said, it’s easy for me to write that but is it going to be worthwhile and/or excessively time consuming trying to code it? It would be a nice feature though.

One other way to do this could be to append the time the rain sensor detected rain to the end of the “RAIN SENSED” message further up the screen.

Samer
    Keymaster

Another thread was discussing logging rain sensor and delay information. That would be the first step to accomplishing your goal listed here.

rederikus
    Participant

OK, thanks. I will go and look for it. I did not mean to hijack this thread.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Interval Program – Manual Control During Rain Sensor Delay