OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Irrigation SMART Controller Rebate qualification

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Andrew
    Participant

Any interest in getting the OS qualified for the rebate programs available across the US such as:

SWAT

and

EPA Water Sense

The cool thing is that some of the water company rebates could in essence complete cover the cost of the controller!

Andrew
    Participant

Here’s the info for the MFG testing info:

http://www.irrigation.org/SWAT/Manufacturer/Manufacturer_FAQ.aspx

Garrick
    Participant

Just this morning, I was reading mail from SoCal Edison about rebates for having a Water-Based Irrigation Controller and I thought to myself, “too bad I bought my opensprinkler so long ago, I missed out on a rebate!”  And then looked further and found the EPA list.

Ray, you should get yourself on that list!

Garrick
    Participant

The manufacturer’s FAQ: http://epa.gov/WaterSense/product.html#m1

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, I’ve received several requests to get OpenSprinkler WaterSense certified. I will be looking into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

sttomic
    Participant

I will be converting my front yard into a drought tolerant landscape and will be applying for a rebate through my city for the work. In order to qualify for the rebate, my city (Sacramento, CA) is requiring applicants to use EPA WaterSense controllers. So this will effectively require me to retire my OSPi. Glad you’re on it. Hope it pulls through.

Caleb
    Participant

I couldn’t find information on the current status of WaterSense certification. Is this available now?

polarbearshirt
    Participant

It looks like OpenSprinkler still isn’t on the EPA WaterSense list. I contacted the WaterSense department and asked if there is anything we can do to get OS added although I haven’t received a reply yet. Does anyone know what needs to be done to get OS EPA WaterSense approved?

Ray
    Keymaster

We are almost ready to release the ETo adjustment method and once that’s done, we will proceed to apply for WaterSense certificate.

polarbearshirt
    Participant

That’s great! Glad to hear it’s almost ready. Sounds like the Zimmerman method will be replaced with a new adjustment method that is more compliant with WaterSense?

Ray
    Keymaster

According to our readings of the WaterSense documents, it seems implementing ET is necessary. We do have an initial ET implementation in the opensprinkler-weather github repository. We are doing some final testing right now and hoping to release it as soon as possible.

On a related note, I still don’t quite understand how some of the ‘dumb’ (i.e. none Internet connected) controllers are WaterSense certified, maybe they use just historic ET data without real-time weather data. Any ideas?

Philip Schlesinger
    Participant

Hi all! Just bought my first OpenSprinkler to replace a CyberRain XCI Pro that I bought nearly 10 years ago that has ZERO support.

I went to look at the EPA’s WaterSense product list and OpenSprinkler still isn’t on there. I see discussions on this forum from 2015 through 2019…but nothing in almost 3 years.

What can I do to help get OpenSprinkler approved for the WaterSense list?

ecto1a2003
    Participant

hello,

I want to bring this topic back from the dead. it seems the software is done for this correct? what’s the timetable for the certification? id love to get the rebate.

ecto1a2003
    Participant

Would it be possible for an end user to apply for the certification?

Philip Schlesinger
    Participant

@ecto1a2003 I’ve contacted one of the certification companies. Note: I’m an end-user just like you. I’ll post whatever I find.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Irrigation SMART Controller Rebate qualification