OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Local Manual Operation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

chicagojim

I realize manual station watering is only available now on the web app.

Would like to be able to manually water any zone for selectable time from the 3 buttons. Something like press 1 and 3 together to bring up station #. up and down to select station using 2 buttons, 3rd to OK, then time interval shown in display and increase of decrease as with station and OK again. This would allow local watering as a backup when there are any issues with ethernet.

Ray
    Keymaster

Manual operation on the controller was a feature in the early versions of OpenSprinkler firmware (firmware 1.5) but it has been removed partly to save program memory space, partly because web-based operation is more intuitive and useful. I do hear comments from users that they’d still like manual operation on the controller, because this would be useful for their landscapers who are not given access to the wifi network. So I am still considering adding it.

Hi
    I was considering to go a step further in local manual operations.
    Basically I was suggesting to have an Hardware front end where to show with a light /led for each valve its status and also to have the possibility to bypass OSPI and opening the valve as needed.

The idea was simply to add a toggle switch for each valve to allow for automatic or manual (open) with a different color code if the valve was open due to the system request or the local worker decision.

Ray
    Keymaster

A manual switch is doable. Basically each station port (1 through 8) is internally connected to a triac that functions like a programmable switch. When the triac is turned on, it connects that solenoid wire to the circuit ground. Since the other wire of the solenoid is connected to COM (common), it completes the circuit from 24V AC transformer to solenoid, and the solenoid is turned on.

You can put a switch (in parallel to triac) between the solenoid wire and circuit ground. This way, when you turn on the switch, it activates the solenoid. You can also connect an LED (with a current limiting resistor) in parallel with the solenoid, so that every time the solenoid is turned on the LED also light up.

Thanks for the clarification.
    I actually was planning to have a front-end to the OSPi. I would have a toggle switch for each valve exit in order to allow its use automatically or overriding it to manual.
    A led Green will light up in case the valve is commended in automatic and a led red will light up is the override was selected.
    In this set-up I will get as input the 8 valves wire plus the common. I will need however the other AC wire . would it be possible to get it from the EXTOUT connector ?

Which one would it be ?

I enclose a schematic (very preliminary to illustrate the concept)
    Regards

Ray
    Keymaster

The two wires from 24V AC are connected as follows: one is connected to the COM port, and the other is tied to GND (circuit ground). So I think the ‘other wire’ you are referring to is the GND wire. You can access the GND pin in the pinout area.

I didn’t see any attached schematic. Can you post again?

Hi Sorry
    it looks like I can not add attachment

Ray
    Keymaster

When posting, you should see below a tab called ‘Upload attachment’. Is it not available on your side? In any case, you can also upload it to a server somewhere, or to Google docs and share a link here.

Hi
    I see the menu that you mentioned, but it says that this kind of documents ( sch or pdf) are not allowed.

Google drive requires an e-mail for sharing a file that I am missing.

Regards

Ray
    Keymaster

Ah, I see, I think only image files are allows. Can you convert your file to .jpg or .png or any image format?

Hi

please find attached the schematics ( I was struggling to find the exact connectors to use)

The resistors are 1.8 Kohm

Angeaa

A led Green will light up in case the valve is commended in automatic and a led red will light up is the override was selected.
    In this set-up I will get as input the 8 valves wire plus the common. I will need however the other AC wire . would it be possible to get it from the EXTOUT connector ?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    latest Mobile Phone Sales Online Store From China. Buy best android Phone Cheap at Mobuyphone Worldwide free shipping.
    Cheap Android phone from China

http://www.mobuyphone.com

Ray
    Keymaster

As I said previously in this thread:

The two wires from 24V AC are connected as follows: one is connected to the COM port, and the other is tied to GND (circuit ground). So I think the ‘other wire’ you are referring to is the GND wire.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Local Manual Operation