• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

joelg
    Participant

I am dead in the water here. I can’t seem to connect to the board with my mac or with the linux VM.

On the desktop, i open “opensprinkergen2”

> “arduino1.0.5”

Im not sure what to do at this point. I can’t tell if i am connected to the board. I am obviously new at this but i would like to try and modify the code a little bit before using the sprinkler control.

Ray
    Keymaster

If you are new to Arduino it will help to check some basic tutorial. For example, in Arduino software you can click on the ‘Upload’ button to flash a program onto the microcontroller. Have you tried to click the button?

joelg
    Participant

I don’t even seem to be able to get that far. It doesn’t appear as if the system is connecting to the board. See screen shots attached. When i run the port monitor it says that there is nothing connected. When i try to look under tools—>serial port, it is greyed out.

Ray
    Keymaster

OpenSprinkler does not have a built-in USB-serial converter so the standard serial monitor will not work.

OpenSprinkler 1.x and 2.0 have a built-in USBtinyISP programmer. When plugging in the USB cable, it will present itself as a USBtinyISP device.
    OpenSprinkler 2.1 has a USBasp bootloader and will present itself as a USBasp device in bootloading mode.

To upload a program, you need to first open a program in Arduino. Your screenshots show that you haven’t opened any program (I can only see two # symbols). For further instructions, please check the ‘Upload and Modify Source Code’ section in the Firmware Update instructions. Here is the direct link:
    http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=732#compile

joelg
    Participant

I have been trying to follow the instructions, I’m finding that they are somewhat difficult to understand. I did open a program and i still have an error:

joelg
    Participant

i think that i am making progress. The issue i am having now is when i try to upload, i get the following error

Avrdude: Error: could not find usbtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, first you need to find out if you have OpenSprinkler 2.0 or 2.1, because they have different USB programmers:
    On 2.0, the 24V AC terminal block is green colored, and the built-in programmer is USBtinyISP.
    On 2.1, the 24V AC terminal block is orange colored. and the built-in programmer is a USBasp bootloader.

If you have 2.0, make sure in VirtualBox under menu item Devices -> USB Devices, the USBtiny device is selected (so the host OS will pass it to the virtual OS). Then try to upload again.

If you have 2.1, follow the procedure below:
    1) enter bootloading mode. to do so, unplug power, then press and hold the second pushbutton (B2) and plug in USB cable; release the button within 2 seconds after the USB cable is plugged in. the LCD screen should remain off, indicating the controller is now in bootloadering mode (and should show up as USBasp in the USB device list).
    2) make sure in VirtualBox’s under menu item Devices -> USB Devices, the USBasp device is selected.
    3) also in Arduino (inside virtual Linux), go to Tools – Programmer and select USBasp.
    Now try to upload again.

I apologize that the virtualbox image hasn’t been updated since the release of 2.0, that’s why you need to do the above additional steps for 2.1. Let me know if this works.

joelg
    Participant

I do have v2.1 and have made the changes as you suggested. I now have the following error:

avrdude: Warning: cannot query manufacturer for device: error sending control message: Operation not permitted
    avrdude: error: could not find USB device “USBasp” with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

USBasp is selected as the programmer and USBasp is selected as the active USB device in the virtual machine.

Ray
    Keymaster

Ah, sorry, I managed to forget about the USB permission issue.

One way to get around it is to run Arduino in sudo mode — open a command line window, go to the folder where Arduino 1.0.5 is installed (or alternatively, right click on the folder and select ‘Open Command Line Window Here’), then run ‘sudo ./arduino’.

Another way is to add the USB device’s VID/PID pair to /etc/udev/rules.d/60-rayshobby.rules Just copy one of the existing lines and change the VID/PID to 16c0 and 05dc. Then restart the virtual Linux.

joelg
    Participant

Frankly, I purchased this with the intention of using it for my sprinklers and making some minor changes. I have spent hours following the instructions online that are incomplete and very difficult to follow. You have responded with additional instructions and those have also been incomplete. The last post you added contains instructions that I can’t follow. I am not able to find the folders you are making reference to. I am quite capable of doing what i want to do with proper instruction.

joelg
    Participant

ok, what i have found is that these changes have to be made in the linux system, not in the Mac files. When i open the files in the linux, i can not find anything called /etc/udev/rules.d/60-rayshobby.rules. All i have is /etc/udev/rules.d/50-usbtiny.rules and /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules and /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-cd.rules

Ray
    Keymaster

You can modify any of the existing .rules file, or create a new file, say, 60-rayshobby.rules. It doesn’t matter which file you choose to append the new VID/PID pair.

Look, when I published the instructions, I had every intention to make it complete and clear. As this is an open-source project, there are frequent changes and it’s difficult for me to keep everything organized and updated at all times. I have a day-time job and I work on this project out of good will. If you encounter a problem, I encourage you to Google it, or just post it in this forum and I will try to answer it as quickly as I can. Expressing your frustration and venting that the instructions are incomplete doesn’t help much, and adds more stress on my side. It’s never my intention to keep the instructions incomplete. It’s just the nature of these projects that there are always unexpected problems and issues, and sometime barriers that require you to learn. I hope this is understandable.

joelg
    Participant

Ray,

I have spent endless hours trying to connect this board to the linux system. I abandoned that idea and tried just doing via the Mac OS and I have been able to get the whole arduino library and hardware set up. Now, my board is dead. I can’t power it up via USB or 24v transformer. This was working for a week and i tested it with some valves. Now what?

Ray
    Keymaster

Are you sure you flashed the firmware correctly? For example, OpenSprinkler 2.0 and 2.1 uses different microcontroller frequencies. If you flashed the firmware code under the wrong board profile, the microcontorller will not start. You can always use the firmware updater program to reflash the microcontroller to one of the pre-compiled firmwares.

If this doesn’t solve the problem, please email [email protected] to arrange for support. Thank you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.