Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I have OSPi up and running on my pi without the OpenSprinkler board. So far, everything is going great except that I can’t seem to access my pi from any other computer except the one wired to my router. I have a D-Link dir-615 router, I’ve done everything I can think of to make it accessible to the other computers/phones/etc on my network. I’ve put it in the DMZ, I’ve got ports forwarded and virtual servers… nothing… The Pi connects via wifi to the router using a reserved IP (not static).

Any thoughts?

alanwbaker
    Participant

@jefe_de_estado wrote:

I can’t seem to access my pi from any other computer except the one wired to my router… The Pi connects via wifi to the router using a reserved IP (not static).

Hi Jefe, What kind of access to the pi do you need (SSH, VNC, HTTP)? Can you ping the pi from other computers?

Alan

Well initially I was hoping for both http and ssh. I ended up using yaler for web access of sprinklers_pi (which is working fantastically). So now it would be good to get ssh access so that I can easily update my pi in the future.

I have tried pinging with several devices on my network and I get no response.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

alanwbaker
    Participant

@jefe_de_estado wrote:

So far, everything is going great except that I can’t seem to access my pi from any other computer except the one wired to my router… I’ve put it in the DMZ, I’ve got ports forwarded and virtual servers… nothing… The Pi connects via wifi to the router using a reserved IP (not static)… I have tried pinging with several devices on my network and I get no response.

You don’t need port forwarding, DMZ, or virtual servers to access your pi from another device on your own network. Any IP address for the pi is fine so long as you know it. 😉 Let’s get ping working first–without it other network services won’t work anyway.

So help me understand some basics…

• About the pi:

• What model hardware is it?
      • What software distibution is running on it (e.g. Raspbian from NOOBS or the distribution provided by Rayshobby)?
      • Post the output of these four commands: netstat -i, netstat -nr, iwconfig, and hwinfo –netcard
    • About the computer that successfully connects to the pi using Yaler:

• What operating system is it running?
      • What is its IP address?
      • Can it ping the pi’s IP address successfully?
      • I’m not familiar with Yaler. Does it give you the pi’s graphical desktop or a command line?
    • About the computer that is unable to ping the pi:

Alan

@alanwbaker wrote:

@jefe_de_estado wrote:

So far, everything is going great except that I can’t seem to access my pi from any other computer except the one wired to my router… I’ve put it in the DMZ, I’ve got ports forwarded and virtual servers… nothing… The Pi connects via wifi to the router using a reserved IP (not static)… I have tried pinging with several devices on my network and I get no response.

You don’t need port forwarding, DMZ, or virtual servers to access your pi from another device on your own network. Any IP address for the pi is fine so long as you know it. 😉 Let’s get ping working first–without it other network services won’t work anyway.

So help me understand some basics…

• About the pi:

• What model hardware is it?
      • What software distibution is running on it (e.g. Raspbian from NOOBS or the distribution provided by Rayshobby)?
      • Post the output of these four commands: netstat -i, netstat -nr, iwconfig, and hwinfo –netcard
    • About the computer that successfully connects to the pi using Yaler:

• Can it ping the pi’s IP address successfully?
      • I’m not familiar with Yaler. Does it give you the pi’s graphical desktop or a command line?
    • About the computer that is unable to ping the pi:

Alan

Sorry for the slow response, between work, school, sick kids, and everything else, I don’t get much time for fun things like trouble shooting. 🙂

The pi that I have is the newer model B. I’m running the distribution from rayshobby running the sprinklers_pi program.

I will post pics of the results of those commands next.

My desktop is connected to the router via Ethernet cable. When the pi is pinged from that computer I get a response. It is running Windows 7. The ip of my desktop is 192.168.0.100, and the pi is 192.168.0.109. Both those ips are reserved for those devices.

Yaler is just a relay service, basically a dns service for servers connected on a dynamic ip, check out their website, its a nifty service.

When I try to access sprinklers_pi via my Android phone using FireFox on port 8080, I get no response. Using an ssh app, I try to ping the pi and get no response. Using a windows xp laptop (connected via wireless) I get no ping response.

Thanks for your help!

Hopefully you can read that. I’m a bit rusty when it comes to Linux, I learned mpi in undergrad school, but haven’t touched it in 8 years.

alanwbaker
    Participant

There’s a bug in the networking that affect Pi’s that have both ethernet and wi-fi… My board will run EITHER the eth0 interface OR the wlan0 interface reliably but not both. So I set up wlan0 in etc/network/interfaces as follows:

# Loopback
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# Ethernet must be commented out for wlan0 to work (!)
    #allow-hotplug eth0
    #iface eth0 inet static
    # address 192.168.0.7
    # netmask 255.255.255.0
    # network 192.168.0.0
    # broadcast 192.168.0.255
    # gateway 192.168.0.4

# Wi-fi
    allow-hotplug wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.8
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    gateway 192.168.0.4
    wpa-ssid "myssid"
    wpa-psk "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
    # wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    # iface wlan0 inet manual

#Default
    iface default inet dhcp

Note the commented-out lines. This is set up as a static IP–simpler and more reliable than reserved DHCP. Hope this helps.

tamberg
    Participant

@jefe_de_estado: sorry for the late reply. Just saw that you’re “using yaler for web access … (which is working fantastically). So now it would be good to get ssh access”. Yaler.net supports SSH access as well. Feel free to contact me ([email protected]) for an additional relay domain. Kind regards, Thomas

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.