OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Opensprinkler 24V connection problem

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Thomas Schuett
    Participant

last year I ordered a Opensprinkler (HW Rev. 2.1) but never had time to take it into operation.
    Today I finally made the 24V connection and updated the FW via USB to version 2.14.
    Everything seemed to be ok.

After that I powered down the OS and disconnect all cables and reconnect the 24V cable.
    But no LCD Display, no network connection is working anymore.
    If I connect the USB cable –> Display is working, networking connection ok and software access is possible.

I opened the box and checked the fuse –> ok
    I checked it with two 230 VAC/24 VDC switching power supplies (both are working).

So what could possibly have happened ?

Ray
    Keymaster

“Today I finally made the 24V connection and updated the FW via USB to version 2.14.” — does this mean that both 24VAC and USB are plugged in at the same time when you did the firmware upgrade?

If the controller can power on over USB, that means the microconotrller is alive. I am still a bit confused by your description: has the controller ever worked with 24VAC, or has it never? If it has never, you should check the orange terminal block and make sure the wires have good contacts with the terminal block pins. If it worked with 24VAC before but not now, perhaps the fuse is blown or other components were damaged.

Thomas Schuett
    Participant

does this mean that both 24VAC and USB are plugged in at the same time when you did the firmware upgrade?

yes

has the controller ever worked with 24VAC

yes, before the update + now only with a USB connection.

perhaps the fuse is blown

I checked the fuse. It was ok

or other components were damaged

which ? I have no block diagram and no possibility to check it.
    This is reason why I asked for any hints to check for the failures before I have to buy a new one.

Ray
    Keymaster

If you have a multimeter, you can open the enclosure (there are four screws at the back of the device), and use your multimeter to measure the resistance between VIN to GND (these pins are available in the pin out area close to the top edge of the PCB. Let me know the resistance value.

Thomas Schuett
    Participant

I found the problem:

• Insert the 24V AC wires into the orange terminal (AC has no polarity so the two wires have no distinction)

from
    http://rayshobby.net/docs/os_fw214_manual.pdf
    As I swapped the wires, the Opensprinkler started (without USB) immediately 🙂

But it started a valve (24 VAC only for testing purposes connected) too and never set them to “active low”.
    Starting “Run-once-Program” starts the solenoid/valve immediately but never stop it. Same with “Stop All Stations”.
    Disconnecting COM, station or switch off Opensprinkler stops/close the valve.

What I need to do to open and close (high-/low) the solenoids/valves ?

Ray
    Keymaster

What you described (i.e. swapping the two wires) sounds like you have a 24V DC power supply, not AC power supply. Note that OpenSprinkler is only designed to work with AC power supply (i.e. the output voltage is AC, not DC).

Thomas Schuett
    Participant

You are right – I used mistakenly a AC/DC power supply.
    So I bought a 230 VAC/ 24VAC transformer and now it´s working.
    Thx for the hint !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Opensprinkler 24V connection problem