OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware 2.1.9(9) released

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have just released unified firmware 2.1.9(9). This firmware primarily fixes some of the issues for OpenSprinkler 3 and 2.3, it isn’t very relevant to OSPi. Some of the main changes include:

* Changing wired Ethernet to use the new EthernetENC library (https://github.com/jandrassy/EthernetENC). This replaces the previous UIPEthernet library with several major bug fixes. This is relevant to OpenSprinkler 3.2 with wired Ethernet module as well as OpenSprinkler 2.3, by hopefully improving their wired Ethernet realibility.

* Support for using a program to trigger a controller reboot on a regular basis. This can be helpful if you are experiencing WiFi or Ethernet reliability issues, by rebooting the controller once in a while. A program with name :>reboot will trigger a reboot when the controller is idle (i.e. no program is running). A program with name :>reboot_now will trigger a reboot regardless of whether a program may be running or not. Notes: the reboot time will be delayed by 1 minute or so from the start time to avoid the action triggered again right after rebooting. As an example: you can create a program with a start time of 2:00am and runs every day, set the program name to :>reboot. This will trigger a reboot every day at 2:01am (i.e. delayed by 1 minute, so that when it comes back it won’t reboot right away again).

When creating the program, you still need to select at least one zone to run (as required by the UI) but the firmware will ignore the zone as it can recognize the special program name so will not actually run the zone.

Some other changes in this firmware include:

* Support for OpenSprinkler Latch version 3.2. With version 3.2, the Latch version can also support wired Ethernet module like the AC-powered and DC-powered versions.

* Improve NTC sync by using multiple NTP servers and cycle through them if one is not available. Also improves handling of RTC in case RTC doesn’t exist or doesn’t work.

* Improve factory reset function for OS 3.0, forcing flash reformat in the case of flash corruption.

* Allows program’s interval day to be as small as 1 (previously the minimum is 2). This is NOT fully available yet because it still requires UI/app changes to go with it, which we will complete in a few days.

As usual, if you’d like to upgrade your firmware, please follow the instructions at:
    https://openthings.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000381694-opensprinkler-firmware-update-guide-summary-
    Thanks!

Kevin Forth
    Participant

Thanks Ray. I’ve created a :>reboot program to reboot my OS at 1:00 AM every day. I’ll soon learn if this improves the issue where OS drops from WiFi periodically. (fingers-crossed)

DaveC
    Participant

Thanks for the update Ray.
    Does the program triggered reboot have a unique reboot cause code?
    There are 2 codes, 4 & 5, that both say ‘API Triggered Reboot’. I don’t know why there are 2 for the same cause, but it would good if the program reboot cause could be uniquely identified. Perhaps one of these codes could be for the API Triggered Reboot and the other for the Program Triggered Reboot.

Dave

cybergrimes
    Participant

Removed my smart plug from OS setup, added the reboot program. Thanks for the update.

[email protected]
    Participant

Hi,I have opensprinkler 2.3 with firmware 2.1.9(9) connect by wire,however after several conections I cant connect by App and web UI .I have to switch off device and switch on again. Could you solve this network error on te next firmware please?

skyynet
    Participant

I opened <ip>/update on OpenSprinkler 3.2 with Firmware 2.1.9(7) and only got a page with reason:2
    Any idea why and on how to update?

Ray
    Keymaster

Are you using wired Ethernet? If so you need to switch to WiFi mode as firmware update can only be done in WiFi. You can power off the controller, remove wired Ethernet module, then power it back on.

skyynet
    Participant

Hi Ray, thanks. Yes, I do use wired Ethernet. Sounds pretty strange, update can be done via WiFi and not wired LAN.
    I also noticed, that in “About” the WLAN Strength is shown with wired LAN as “Excellent”. Any chance to have another line LAN showing if the connection is established via LAN? By the way: 2.1.9(7) run for my since installation without freezing.

Ray
    Keymaster

Currently you can tell which way it’s connected on the LCD: if it’s WiFi connected, it shows a WiFi icon (the little triangle bar icon); if it’s wired connected, it shows a small network icon (looks like 3 boxes connected via cables).

Yes we can add the indicator to the UI as well.

The reason it can only be done through WiFi is that OTA update for ESP8266 is a standard feature built-in to the core libraries. OTA update with wired Ethernet — no one has ever written that part yet. That said, I have started looking at ESP8266 core 3.x which seems to have unified the handling of WiFi and wired Ethernet, per it’s possible that OTA update can be done with both, but I have to do some research on that.

skyynet
    Participant

Thanks Ray, Sounds promising.

SpikeyGG
    Participant

Awesome, I just updated and set up my :>reboot schedule to reboot twice a week. Hopefully, this keeps the connectivity issues to a minimum. 😀 Thanks for the change @Ray.

mrslvd
    Participant

Hi Ray,
    In your first post you have stated that: … This is NOT fully available yet because it still requires UI/app changes to go with it, which we will complete in a few days.

Did you integrate these changes?

Best regards,
    Miro

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes I believe it’s already integrated into the UI, assuming your controller runs firmware 2.1.9(9) (the UI detects the firmware version and applies different parameters depending on which firmware version you have).
    https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinkler-App/blob/master/www/js/main.js#L9136

mrslvd
    Participant

Hi Ray,
    Just to clarify something. Your announcement of issuing 2.1.9(9) was on August 22, 2021 at 6:36 pm (the first post). In the same post you say: * Allows program’s interval day to be as small as 1 (previously the minimum is 2). This is NOT fully available yet because it still requires UI/app changes to go with it, which we will complete in a few days.
    After that there is no new release of the firmware and that is why I am wondering whether changes were implemented in UI.

Ray
    Keymaster

The firmware change is independent of UI/app change — at the time of the release, the firmware already supports 1 day as the program’s interval day, but the UI (i.e. front end will reject it if you input 1). The analogy is: your computer (including its hardware and firmware) may support 4K resolution, but let’s say your TV’s mobile app (if it has one) does not give 4K as an option. Now it does. Does this make sense? I already sent you the link to the line of code in the UI that accommodates 1 day.

mrslvd
    Participant

Hi Ray,
    Thanks for the explanation but I still don’t fully understand what UI/app changes means. Does this mean changes only to Android App?

Best regards,
    Miro

mrslvd
    Participant

Hi Ray,
    I think this helps me to understand what you mean: https://openthings.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000164006-using-a-different-server-for-ui-assets

Best regards,
    Miro

SprinklerDave
    Participant

Note that rain delay seems to prevent the :>reboot program from running.

Zoltán
    Participant

Hi Ray,

I upgraded my working OS 2.3 (AC) device today to 2.1.9(9). The device is connected via a client mode TP-Link nano router, but it cannot get an IP address now. After reboot the display shows:

“Start wired link” -> then “NTP Syncing…” -> then “Start wired link” again -> then the normal status screen with the time/date and MC:________

B1 button shows IP is 0.0.0.0:80 (so it could not get an IP)
    B2 shows the correct MAC as it used to be
    B3 shows the zones

Sometimes I can catch on the nano router’s admin web that the device sometimes has a 192.168.1.x IP address for some seconds, but the address disappears soon.

I upgraded the firmware using a Mac Mini M1 via avrdude M1 build. It missed avrdude.conf at first, but finally I used this command below and it succeeded. Please note that the USB device name for the CH340 programmer on the M1 is somewhat different, but worked.

The beginning of avrdude output is as follows:
    ==============================================

(base) zoltansz@mac-mini-m1 bin % sudo ./avrdude -v -v -v -v -p atmega1284p -c arduino -P /dev/tty.usbserial-21310 -b 115200 -U flash:w:os_219_9.hex:i
    Password:
    executable_abspath = /opt/homebrew/Cellar/avrdude/7.0_2/bin/avrdude
    executable_abspath_len = 46
    executable_dirpath = /opt/homebrew/Cellar/avrdude/7.0_2/bin
    executable_dirpath_len = 38
    sys_config = /opt/homebrew/etc/avrdude.conf
    sys_config_found = true

avrdude: Version 7.0
    Copyright (c) Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
    Copyright (c) Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is “/opt/homebrew/etc/avrdude.conf”
    User configuration file is “/Users/zoltansz/.avrduderc”
    User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbserial-21310
    Using Programmer : arduino
    Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
    avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
    avrdude: Recv: . [14]
    avrdude: Recv: . [10]
    AVR Part : ATmega1284P
    Chip Erase delay : 55000 us
    PAGEL : PD7
    BS2 : PA0
    RESET disposition : dedicated
    RETRY pulse : SCK
    Serial program mode : yes
    Parallel program mode : yes
    Timeout : 200
    StabDelay : 100
    CmdexeDelay : 25
    SyncLoops : 32
    PollIndex : 3
    PollValue : 0x53
    Memory Detail :

Block Poll Page Polled
    Memory Type Alias Mode Delay Size Indx Paged Size Size #Pages MinW MaxW ReadBack
    ———– ——– —- —– —– —- —— —— —- —— —– —– ———
    eeprom 65 10 128 0 no 4096 8 0 9000 9000 0xff 0xff
    Block Poll Page Polled
    Memory Type Alias Mode Delay Size Indx Paged Size Size #Pages MinW MaxW ReadBack
    flash 65 10 256 0 yes 131072 256 512 4500 4500 0xff 0xff
    Block Poll Page Polled
    lock 0 0 0 0 no 1 1 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00
    Block Poll Page Polled
    lfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 1 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00
    Block Poll Page Polled
    hfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 1 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00
    Block Poll Page Polled
    efuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 1 0 9000 9000 0x00 0x00
    Block Poll Page Polled
    signature 0 0 0 0 no 3 1 0 0 0 0x00 0x00
    Block Poll Page Polled
    calibration 0 0 0 0 no 1 1 0 0 0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : Arduino
    Description : Arduino
    avrdude: Send: A [41] . [80] [20]
    avrdude: Recv: . [14]
    avrdude: Recv: . [03]
    avrdude: Recv: . [10]

==============================================

Do you have any idea what could cause this? Shall I reflash the firmware? Is there anything else I could do?

Thanks,
    Z

Zoltán
    Participant

Addendum: Downgraded to 2.1.9(4) and it got an IP immediately!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware 2.1.9(9) released