OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Question on wireless access

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

rjalex
    Participant

I have bought a TP Link device model is TL-WR702N wireless access point which I am connecting via USB and ethernet to the Opensprinkler.

I do need to reach BOTH OpenSprinkler but also the TP-Link itself and both are in a closed sealed box outside in my garden.

If I change my wireless network password I think I’d like to reach the TP-Link, change it there and AFTER change it accordingly on my home router and I should not lose the connection hopefully !

Is “Client mode” what I need ?

Thanks a lot

Oasiz37
    Participant

If your router supports guest network, you could temporarily enable it with the old Network ID and password, and then switch TP Link to the new credentials. And yes, the Client mode is what should be set on.

rjalex
    Participant

Thank you Sir ! 🙂

My Modem/Router does not have a guest LAN, that would have been a clever trick !

Couple of questions if I may:

I am under the impression that if “guest mode” the TP-Link will not have its own IP address … am I correct ? That would be inconvenient since if I change the wifi password I’ll have to crawl in an incovenient place 🙁

In Client mode I’d just need to set the OS unit to a static IP in my home subnet with the ADSL router as the default GW, right ?

Take care.

Ray
    Keymaster

In Client mode, the WiFi adapter does not have its own IP address so you can’t log in to re-configure it. The only way to re-configure it is to physically press the reset button on the adapter.

There are other adapters that I’ve seen that do have its own IP address in client mode. One example is the Netgear WNCE2001. This should allow you to log in and re-configure it when needed.

Another choice is to use powerline networking adapters like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA2010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUIY4/
    which essentially creates a wired network through your power line. It requires no setup since it’s not wireless. It’s worth a try.

Ray
    Keymaster

I accidentally found a interesting feature of TL-WR702N that will allow you to re-configure it remotely. In other words, in Client Mode you can still access the adapter’s configuration page. The trick is that the adapter enforces its default IP address (192.168.0.254), even through it’s connected to a network that has a different IP base (for example, my home network uses 192.168.1.x). So normally you will not be able to directly access the adapter since your computer’s IP address is in a different subnet. However, you can override it by setting a manual IP address, such as 192.168.0.100, which is compatible with the adapter’s subnet. Then open a browser on your computer and type in 192.168.0.254, and you should see the adapter’s configuration page. Different operating systems have different ways to set manual IP address, please Google to find out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Question on wireless access