Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone ahd a chance to look at the 3 yet? Any reason it wouldn’t work with the OSpi?

dsell
    Participant

I have one on the way… no ETA yet.
    Should work ok if the working power draw is low.

If Ray’s listening, how much power does the OSPi provide? Peak amperage for the Pi3 is 2.5A @ 5V.
    I love the Pi Zero for OSPi. Seems as solid as the microcontroller based OS.

Anonymous
    Inactive

From what I’ve read it actually draws less power than the pi2?

Ray
    Keymaster

I haven’t got my RPi 3 yet. The spec seems to suggest that RPi 3 draws significantly more current. I can’t say whether it will work on existing OSPi or not. If not, it should be easy to fix by soldering a new fuse (or solder a wire across the fuse to bypass it). Specifically, OSPi has an on-board 1.1A fuse on the 5V line. The DC-DC converter can output more than 1.5A, but the fuse is capping the output current. So bypassing the fuse will allow the DC-DC converter to supply more current.

To be honest, in my mind the best RPi to work with OSPi is either RPi A+ or Zero, as they are the lowest cost versions, and to run a sprinkler controller you don’t really need the computation power of RPi 2 or 3.

Augustin
    Participant

I got one but I can’t answer to these questions 100%.

Here are some benchmarks:
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-3-specs-benchmarks/

And here is the benchmarks about power:
    RPI 3 - Power consumption

Xerogas
    Participant

I have the RPi3, and it works fine from the standpoint of controlling my sprinklers. What I don’t like is that the mounting posts don’t align, so the RPi3 is just dangling by some wires in my garage.

Ray
    Keymaster

I thought RPi 3 has the same size and mounting hole locations with RPi 2 (and RPi 1 A+/B+). If so, it should fit the current version of OSPi (1.4+).

My ideal RPi (which I wish would exist in the future) is basically RPi zero with a standard size USB port, and with the 2×20 pin headers pre-soldered. If this exists at $10 to $15 price range, it would be perfect for OSPi.

Xerogas
    Participant

Hi Ray, I guess I have a much older model of your daughterboard, because it fits my old Pi just fine. The standoffs are arranged in an asymmetrical pattern. It was back in 2013, for an OSPi v1.2

jcodybaker
    Participant

I can confirm it works well with the Raspberry Pi 3. I’m using the newest OSPi and the 24VAC transformer sold on the site. The mounts aligned without issue. The built in wifi seems robust enough that it works from the back yard.

sbenaloh
    Participant

I just got two RPi 3’s and tried to install OSPi after having it work on my Pi 2. For whatever reason I can’t get the OS load. I’ve tried it on both of my new boards with two different SD cards, and yet the only OS I can get to work is the base Raspian from the RPi website. I’ve also tried when connected to the OSPi board or when independent, but every time then the red power light comes on but the green light that flashes when booting an OS never lights up. Any tips or ideas on what may need to be changed?

Thanks

951calguy
    Participant

You might have a really old raspbian image, just get the newest raspbian image and install the unified firmware. https://opensprinkler.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000631599-installing-and-updating-the-unified-firmware#install

barry1
    Participant

Hi, having the same problem here. The Pi 3 seems to be very picky when it comes to SD cards/ images. I can burn an OSPI image to an SD card and run it in a PI2 with no problem. Place it in the PI3 and nothing. Take the same SD card and reformat it with SDFormater and install Raspian on it and it will work in PI2 and PI3. Manually install OSPI on the same card and it will run on both PI2 and PI3. Make an image of that card using Win32DiskImager, reformat the card and burn the image and it works fine on PI2 but nothing on PI3. I have tried many cards of many makes and sizes. Overall the results are the same, although there are a couple of cards that PI3 won’t boot from at all, but PI2 does.

If I create an image from a card that has a “modified” system on it e.g. tightvnc, ftp enabled etc, the image will boot so I am confident that the image writer is working OK.

So in a nutshell, I can’t create an SD card from an image that has OSPI on it.

Barry

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.