OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Recent app update – IOS app can no longer connect to the controller

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

phillipsdf
    Participant

As of this morning, our IOS apps can no longer connect – we get “Unable to connect to <name>”. The app has worked mostly okay (it still freezes far too much) but was usable. Using Safari on laptops and IOS devices, connecting works fine — this seems pretty clearly to be an app problem.

Samer
    Keymaster

Are you using a reverse proxy with SSL? Which version of OpenSprinkler are you using?

Samer
    Keymaster

Can you add the demo to the iOS app?

IP: demo.opensprinkler.com
    PW: opendoor

phillipsdf
    Participant

Nope, local connection. No SSL, all inside our in-house router (AirPort Extreme). Up until this morning, all worked great (your app still freezes way too much requiring a close/restart, but that’s another issue). This morning, both iPhones and iPads are unable to connect. The IOS app can’t even find the controller to add it again.

I can still access the controller via Safari on either my Mac or iPhone, so I know the controller is actually still reachable, but that’s it. I’ve tried restarting the controller, the router and the phone. No difference.

for the controller:
    App Version: 1.8.0
    Firmware: 2.1.8
    Hardware Version: 3.0-AC

for IOS:
    iPhone 11.4.1, iPAd 12.0 beta
    OpenSprinkler app shows version 174

Samer
    Keymaster

Thank you for the information. In regard to the crashing, we have solved that issue in 1.7.9. That version is currently in the app store. Could you please update your 1.7.4 version to the latest version and try again?

To be clear about the recent iOS crashing: The app was not crashing per se but clicks stop being registered. The app was still running and updating as shown by running timers etc. This was a bug introduced by Apple in iOS 11.3 and persists in iOS 11.4. The latest iOS 12 beta shows it to be fixed. The bug is a negative timestamp being sent with events when the app is running in the background (eg. lock screen). This bug alone is not an issue but we use Fastclick to remove the 300ms delay in UIWebView (we have now switched to WKWebView in 1.7.9). We now use a newer build of Fastclick which has this bug resolved (uses new Date().getTime() instead of the passed in timestamp).

phillipsdf
    Participant

Just downloaded 1.7.9, again. Incidentally, after redownloading the app, Settings/General/iPhone Storage still shows OpenSprinkler “174”, not 179.

“Scan For Device” searches for all versions and comes up empty: “No devices were detected on your network”. Manually adding the controller, after entering the name and password I get “Check IP/Port and try again”. This is all while I can easily get to the controller via a web browser. on the phone.

If I log into OpenSprinkler.com inside the app, it repopulates my sites with the correct data — except that hitting connect only gets me “unable to connect to <name>.

Samer
    Keymaster

I understand where you are seeing the version now but I am generally referring to the version listed in the about page. Thanks for pointing out this detail though.

The fact that the app communicates with the cloud server tells us the issue is limited to the insecure connections. Let me do some more debugging and I will get back to you.

Thank you for the detail!

phillipsdf
    Participant

no problem adding the demo.

phillipsdf
    Participant

Regarding the “crashing” – thanks for the in-depth info, really interested in hearing that — and thanks for addressing it!

Samer
    Keymaster

No problem! It was a fun read up for myself: https://github.com/ftlabs/fastclick/issues (quite a few related issues).

I fear though the switch to WKWebView is what is causing your issue along with a few other customers. I admit I test mostly against the demo so I overlooked this issue. I will try to pin this down and will hopefully have a resolution soon.

Samer
    Keymaster

In testing this morning I was able to reproduce the issue on firmware 2.1.7 on a v2.0 device. I don’t think it’s tied to the hardware or firmware at all but rather a fault of the iOS app specifically (as we suspected). However, after installing another version the app started working. I even deleted everything and re-downloaded from the app store and it works now.

I asked Ray to also test with his iPhone and it works for him and his colleague as well.

I am sure you tried this but if you force kill the app and restart it, does that have any bearing on the outcome?

I am still trying to pin this down and just looking for information, thanks!

phillipsdf
    Participant

I’d agree it doesn’t appear related to the hardware or firmware — connecting using a web browser continues to work without issue. The v3.0 device has been operating for a few months now since install, and it’s been flawless.

I’ve force-killed the app a number of times, as well as outright deleting it and redownloading it from the App Store multiple times. No luck. As I mentioned, I also restarted the controller and the access point just to be thorough.

Feel free to ping me if there’s any other information I can supply.

phillipsdf
    Participant

Update: downloaded the new version supplied on the App Store this morning. iPhone shows version 176 now. Tried the reset wireless option — had to re-connect the controller to my access point, after which the problem remains — I can connect via HTTP on a. browser, but the app continues to fail every time.

Samer
    Keymaster

That last update didn’t address this issue. There is another one (1.8.2) that does.

For future coorelation, please use the version displayed in the about page.

phillipsdf
    Participant

Sorry for the confusion, Samer — I couldn’t get to the About screen in the app, and seeing the app version in the web interface doesn’t seem relevant. I had to add the demo site to get to the About screen, as without a successfully connected controller, the Manage Sites screen is the only one available (that seems a bit odd). So I’m on app version 1.8.1, which doesn’t agree with the 172 I see in Settings/General/iPhone Storage/OpenSprinkler (also odd) — doesn’t look like that’s getting updated in the source code.

Samer
    Keymaster

Ah okay sorry about that! Now I understand the issue.

The other version you are seeing is in fact correct but it’s the build number. This happens to look like the version but it’s not. Code: https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinkler-App/blob/master/config.xml#L43

phillipsdf
    Participant

Thanks Samer – I get the usefulness of the build — but you are in fact populating the Version field in the OS Settings record with that, which is non-standard. Have you thought of using “1.8.0 (build 172)” or such?

Samer
    Keymaster

You are correct these are inverted however switching them requires the version to increase to triple digits since all new builds need to be newer than previous versions. Right now it’s just stuck this way. My newer projects don’t have this issue.

phillipsdf
    Participant

Updated to 1.8.2 this morning. All good — thanks Samer!

Samer
    Keymaster

Awesome, thank you for letting us know!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Recent app update – IOS app can no longer connect to the controller