OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Relay board that works with DC solonaid ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

ChaoscripT

Hi,
    I want to know if there is any relay board that works with DC solonaid (9V 2 wires) that fit RPi ?

Regards.

scottsh
    Participant

If you’re working entirely with DC then a transistor would work just as well and be a lot cheaper. Something like a 2N2222 would work, depending on how much current your solenoid pulls.

I see some 9v solenoids that only need 240mA so an 800mA transistor would work.

Scott

ChaoscripT

Hi Scott,
    Thanks for your answer,
    I mean if I can buy relay board ready to use instead of “change” one.
    The computer works with 2 9V batteries, I don’t know how much mAh

Regards.

scottsh
    Participant

I’m not suggesting you change an existing board, I’m suggesting you just use a transistor. When working with low voltage DC you can use components directly without the need for fancy boards. It know it might be scary to work with solder but if I can do it – and I’m a CS grad, not EE – then you can too :). There are lots of examples on the web on how to use it to switch DC. And from a cost standpoint, you can’t beat it – I see you can buy one of those 2N2222 for 10 cents ($0.10).

And besides, if you fry something it probably won’t hurt anybody. It’s when you start messing around with AC 120v 15A that things get … challenging. That’s when buying a board is a good idea – somebody else has already worked to make that safe.

You can pull a lot of mA out of a 9V battery; but that’s not the issue – the issue is the load, so you’ll have to look at the solenoid and see what it draws.

What are you trying to do?

ChaoscripT

I just want to connect this valve,
    http://www.amazon.com/Galcon-Sprinkler-Latching-Solenoid-Controllers/dp/B00ES8NSMC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SZKSNBDPKSQZYHCX9BZ
    (for example)
    instead of AC valve.
    You have any video that shows how to do the change with the transistor ?
    Also I need to it for all the outputs? or only for what I use?

Regards.

scottsh
    Participant

Oh I see – you want OSPi to work with this DC solenoid instead of the standard 24V AC solenoids? That’s Ray’s department, not mine. I’m not sure what it would take to get that to work.

ChaoscripT

Just to be sure scottsh,
    AC valve need to connect to electriciy ? or they come only with 2 wires that connect to OSPi ?
    Also another question, the AC valve is water restitent ?

Regards.

Ray
    Keymaster

@ChaoscripT: the valve shown in your link is clearly a latching solenoid (note that the two wires have different colors, meaning there is polarity). Latching solenoids are typically used in battery-powered controllers, and CANNOT work with 24V AC sprinkler controllers (such as OpenSprinkler or OSPi), because the electric spec and the controler mechanism are completely different. OpenSprinkler Bee is designed to work with latching solenoids:
    http://rayshobby.net/?p=8527
    We have an Arduino Shield version of OpenSprinkler Bee (called OSBee Sheild) that will be released shortly this week.

24V AC valves require a 24V AC power adapter and cannot work on batteires. If you must use latching solenoids, then OpenSprinkler or OSPi are not suitable. If the valve type doesn’t matter, I suggest that you get 24V AC valves, they are cheap and widely available online or at home improvement stores.

ChaoscripT

Ray,
    Thanks for your comment,
    So it’s not possible to use OSPi with DC valve ?
    I want the OSPi, becuase the Rasperry, and the wifi, and the smartphone app.

Regards.

Ray
    Keymaster

It’s possible to use OSPi with DC solenoids, but as I said, the one in the link you showed is DC Latching solenoids, and to interface with those it’ complicated. You can find DC non-latching solenoids, and you can use them with OSPi by replacing the on-board triacs with transistors or MOSFETs.

ChaoscripT

What is “Latching” solonaid ?

Regards.

Ray
    Keymaster

Latching solenoid only draws power when it opens or closes, and does not draw power when it remains in the same state. It’s sometimes called bistable solenoid. Applying a positive voltage opens the solenoid valve, and reversing the polarity closes the valve. The coil on the solenoid typically has very low resistance (a few ohms) so it momentarily draws a high current, often up to a few amps. You are supposed to only apply an impulse voltage instead of continuous voltage, otherwise it can quickly burn the coil or short the power supply.

ChaoscripT

Understand you,
    Means Latching works with “pules”.
    When the OpenSprinkler Bee will realese? It will work with the smartphone app? Can I connect to it USB WIFI Adapter?

Regards.

KanyonKris
    Participant

There are many relay boards that will work. I used this 4 relay board from SainSmart. It’s connected to my Raspberry Pi and running my sprinkler system for 2 years. You can buy from SainSmart, I bought one off Amazon for a $6. They also offer relay boards with more or less relays, and also small signal and solid state relays – http://www.sainsmart.com/arduino-compatibles-1/relay.html

rederikus
    Participant

I think this topic is probably past its sell by date but here’s my 2 cents worth anyway. Looking at the picture of the valve assembly in the Amazon link the OP posted, it will probably be a lot simpler to just unscrew the DC solenoid and screw in a regular 24V AC device. Even if the OP has to buy a cheap complete valve in Home Depot, they only cost $12.

Another solution would be to run the OSPi on its usual AC and then put a 2 Amp bridge rectifier on the output. I bought 10 of these on ebay for $3.95 here http://www.ebay.com/itm/251555357618?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649. This would allow the OP to use a DC solenoid. Obviously he would need to ensure that the DC voltage was correct since 24VAC will produce in excess of 36VDC.

Ray
    Keymaster

I want to re-state what I said earlier: when working with DC solenoid, be sure to check if the solenoid is latching or non-latching. Some DC valves use latching solenoids, the coil resistence is typically very low (a few ohms). These valves must be ‘pulsed’ open or close, you should never apply constant voltage more than 50 to 200 milliseconds, as that will smoke the coil. Other DC valves that are non-latching, the coil resistance is typically higher (30 to 60 ohms), and you can apply constant voltage on it to open the valve, and release voltage to close the valve.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Relay board that works with DC solonaid ?