what do you think of an integration of a robotic lawn mower as one of the outputs of OpenSprinkler?
Two things why it would be benefitial:
– When raining, the robotic lawn mower whould better not mow, thus he should be deactivated when it is raining (the weather forecast could be used therefore)
– The robotic lawn mower should not be active in times when the sprinkler system is activated and thus a common control is of advantage
So the robotic lawn mower output should have the following configuration possibilities:
– Set a specific start and end time
– Disable the output when it already rained or it is raining (when it should rain after the configured mow time, then ignore the forecast and mow)
– Be able to connect a “law mower in the station”-sensor to OpenSprinkler to be able to check if the lawn mower returned to the charging station
– Be able to set a waiting time for the mower to be recharged
=> when the end time is reached / about to reach and the mower returned to the station (sensor signal is high), wait the user-specified time till the mower is recharged and turn off the power before the mower starts to mow again
=> do not turn of the power off when the mower is still mowing because this could lead to undefined behavior of the mover (dependend of the manufacturer)
I’ve seen a few nice projects on building robotic lawn mowers yourself, but I am not sure if there is a common platform or common API that these lawn mowers use. Without a common API, this integration will have to be done on a case by case basis.