OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Solar powered OpenSprinkler

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

[email protected]
    Participant

I’m considering getting the OpenSprinkler3.0 DC to control my drip irrigation in the garden. It will need to powered by solar so after much Googling I’ve put together a list of hardware I’ll need to power it:

Solar panel
    Solar charge controller (that supports the battery type)
    Battery

I’m not sure what size battery I will need to properly power the OpenSprinkler3.0 DC. I’ve looked at 12.8v 6Ah LiFePo4 batteries but I don’t know if that’s overkill or not.
    I’ve also looked at LiPoly batteries but they seem under powered.

If all that will be powered is the OpenSprinkler3.0 DC which will control 4 or 5 24AC sprinkler valves what is the recommended specs on a battery?

Thanks

[email protected]
    Participant

After some more googling I’m leaning towards the OS3 Latch even though the valve’s are more expensive. I’ve included a diagram of how I plan to lay it out. Any input/advice is appreciated before I start spending $$. Thanks.

Ray
    Keymaster

I am not familiar with batteries used in solar power systems, but I believe 12VDC output is pretty standard and OpenSprinkler DC-powered or Latch both accept 12VDC input (a few volts higher is fine, but should not be more than 15VDC).

Latch is supposed to be more power efficient as the valve stays indefinitely in one state and only draws power when you change its state (from open to close and vice versa). That said, the controller itself also consumes a certain amount of power (around 100mA to 150mA in idle state). As it uses linear regulator to drop 12VDC to internal voltage, this is a power consumption of about 12*0.1 to 12*0.15, which is 1.2 to 1.8 Watt power, which pretty small.

If you go with DC-powered OpenSprinkler, each valve when open consumes about 12VDC * 0.3A = 3.6 Watt power.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Solar powered OpenSprinkler