OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Suggestion on adding a moisture sensor to system

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

dhmeiser
    Participant

I am interested in using open sprinkler for my watering needs

I also want to see how to utilize this with my drip irrigation system. I have numerous container plants and want to be able to water them when they are dry as they dry out faster than items in the ground. But I want to be able to control the watering as to not over water the pots.

I am looking at building and using Wireless Soil Moisture Sensor as in this instruct able https://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-Soil-Moisture-Sensor/

as it uses a capacitive moisture sensor instead of the cheap bimetal resistive sensors they should last much longer.

As I am not a programmer and have some knowledge of arduino programming is there a way to integrate the output of the moisture sensor into the programming of the open sprinkler so it will turn on a valve when the reading gets below a set value and turn off the valve as well?

Also If this could be accomplished your system would be fantastic to use in greenhouses for both seed and vegetative propagation as moisture control is crucial for seed starting and rooting cuttings, not to mention moisture control of sensitive plants such as orchids.

Please let me know if this is possible and I hope you consider integrating moisture sensors into your system as well.

Thanks

dhmeiser
    Participant

also have you seen Vinduino https://hackaday.io/project/6444-vinduino-a-wine-growers-water-saving-project it is a managed irrigation system and has a number of good ideas for irigation as well as utilizing gypsum block moisture sensors which are utilized in several commercial systems, you can also make your own

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes, we’ve considered supporting soil sensor but the difficulty is that the sensor ports on OS are all digital pins, so they cannot read analog signals. Technically capacitive soil sensors are digital sensors and they can output a digital signal where the frequency is correlated with the soil moisture. However, I am concerned that as the frequency can be very high, it’s not feasible to have OS read that signal as it will be wasting a lot of CPU cycles just to detect the signal frequency. So at the moment the best way is to use an analog soil sensor connected to a analog to digital threshold converter which converts the analog signal to a binary digital signal with a user defined threshold. This way the soil sensor becomes similar to rain sensor. This is also what firmware 2.1.9 supports — it allows a soil sensor with binary output.

Hunter’s Soil Clik sensor basically works this way, albeit quite pricy:
    https://www.hunterindustries.com/irrigation-product/sensors/soil-cliktm
    it’s equivalent to a soil moisture version of rain sensor.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Suggestion on adding a moisture sensor to system