OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Update Function & Button

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Michael

Should we try to create an “Update” button in device settings under “Reboot Open Sprinkler” and a function that runs a git pull?

Samer
    Keymaster

I just tried to implement something like this and ran into every obstacle outlined in this blog post (in this order): http://jondavidjohn.com/blog/2012/10/git-pull-from-a-php-script-not-so-simple

So, I have another idea. We already have a script in crontab running every minute, watcher.php. So, I can add an option to automatically install updates and have the watcher install them periodically. But, do I need to expose this as an option or would everyone be okay if this just happened? I would first do a `which git` for the binary location and if nothing is found abort there. I would then check the install location for a .git/HEAD file and if missing abort. The only issue would be a bad update but nothing that could possibly break git pull from updating/fixing itself.

Let me know what you think and we can easily implement something like I mentioned.

Michael

I see.. you can make an external script that php calls but too many variables and a few security holes to make.

Using the weather and making it an option would work. I definitely would want to choose to auto update or not and or perhaps choose to have the system report the need for an update?

TonyA

In lieu of a manual “Install update” button, I’d be ok with the auto update and config option to disable as mentioned above. When an update is auto installed a quick msg popup – like the “Update available” – msg indicating that an “Update installed” would be good as a prompt to go and check out a description of the update..!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Update Function & Button