OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Using a Raspberry Pi with OpenSprinkler

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 6 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Keymaster

Steve, are you referring to the changes in formware 1.8.3 (vs the previous version 1.8.2)? The changes are all documented in the GitHub commit messages, and README.txt. For example, the commit message of 1.8.3 says:
    main changes are 1) added back support for concurrent running mode; 2) new ‘device_id’ option which allows modifying the last byte of the controller’s mac address.

mrburns42

Ray,

I was referring to Dan’s post about his blog using Raspberry Pi with OpenSprinkler. In his zip file there is a OpenSprinkler hex file which is described as:
    “A modified version of the OpenSprinkler firmware”. I did not find the source code to the mods or what exactly was changed.
    Thanks.

—- Steve

nbelles
    Participant

Hello Dan,
    I am following your blog to have opnensprinkler in my rasperry pi and get stuck in point 7.3
    -Follow the instructions on the OpenSprinkler web site to flash the OpenSprinkler with the precompiled modified firmware. This is only necessary if you will be hosting the files for OpenSprinkler’s web interface on the Pi.

My cuestion is how to flash the OpenSprinkler with the precompiled modified firmware?

Thanks.

WildBillpdx
    Participant

Didn’t see anything in the posts specifically about Pi Zero. I just bought my OSPi kit and a Pi Zero W H. The Pi has built-in WiFi and has the GPIO header installed. Ordered from AdaFruit for $14 plus $4.71 shipping. Hooked it up the OSPi board and it seems to work great. Haven’t connected to sprinklers yet but all functions appear usable. Saves a lot of trouble having both wifi and the GPIO header.

Ray
    Keymaster

@nbelles: there is NO ‘precompiled’ firmware for OSPi: you install it and compile it directly. Follow the instructions here:
    https://openthings.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/5000631599-installing-and-updating-the-unified-firmware
    I assume you are referring to the unified firmware. If you want to install any third-party firmware, you have to follow their instructions.

@wildbillpdx: yes, I would definitely vote for RPi Zero W H — the lowest cost RPi with built-in WiFi.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Using a Raspberry Pi with OpenSprinkler