OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Weather adjustment for weekly watering

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

marcusb
    Participant

Hi,
    I would like to water the lawn only once or twice a week, not daily. However I’m unsure how this would interact with the weather adjustment features.

Reading about the ETo algorithm (https://openthings.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000823370-using-weather-adjustments#ET), it seems to take into account only the previous day’s conditions. That is clearly insufficient if you are watering once a week – it would have to account for total rainfall over the past week to do the right thing.

Is there a way to make this work?

Underpaid1349
    Participant

I’d love you know if you ever figured out a solution or adjustment to make less frequent watering work. I’m anticipating needing to do the same (2-3 waterings per week) for my fescue.

Ray
    Keymaster

To customize the weather algorithm, you can either run the weather script on your own server and direct your opensprinkler (use the /su page) to your own weather server, or you can run a local server and send command to opensprinkler to change the watering level periodically.

Underpaid1349
    Participant

Thanks for the response, Ray. I took a look at the project you mentioned.

I’m guess I’m out of my league right now trying how I would change the eto weather adjuster. I looked through this file (https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinkler-Weather/blob/master/routes/adjustmentMethods/EToAdjustmentMethod.ts) but nothing really jumps out as a feasible stateful way to accumulate eto data over a configured period of time.

Is it possible as a future feature to calculate eto from when a program was last run, or a set number of days? E.g. if I only have it set to run twice a week for deeper watering of tall fescue. Then the program could identify when it was last run to know what the current eto should be.

Or I guess a better question; What would you do if you were in my position trying to set up a residential irrigation schedule for a lawn that shouldn’t have daily waterings? I’d like to utilize tools that would make these weather adjustments in a smart way.

Thanks!

Ray
    Keymaster

I honestly don’t know if there is one correct way to implement this. A slightly easier version is probably to get the watering percentage every day and calculate an average across several days and use the average number for the day watering is enabled. Another way is to calculate the average of weather parameters and compute ETo using the average weather parameters. I am not an expert in ETo, so I honestly don’t know if there is one correct way to implement this.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Weather adjustment for weekly watering