Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

gary
    Participant

This is a little off topic but i figured I’d throw it out there. I’ve been trying to use the RF controller with open sprinkler and while it works, it only works reliably within a very short range. I’m having reliability issues in as close as 15 feet. While looking for a way to increase the range i ran across wifi electrical outlets. Search “wifi outlet” on google or amazon. While they are not as inexpensive as the rf outlets they probably will have more reliability at a longer range.

I’m going to try one out. One of the downsides i see is that each manufacturer appears to require their own android or ios app to access the units. There are not pc apps nor is there internal browser access. Even TP-Link’s units appear to have this (feature/flaw).

I don’t have any idea what it would take but it seems that if Open Sprinkler could send on’s and off’s to the wifi switches in a network that scheduled control could be programmed into it just like the rf switches are.

Anyhow, food for thought.

– Gary

PS The sprinkler is awesome.

Samer
    Keymaster

This should be possible as I use Amazon Echo to control my TP Link wifi switches. It might be using their API though after user authentication (to get a token).

KSprinkler75
    Participant

A lot of these WiFi electrical outlets use ESP8266 modules. The modules can be flashed with custom code to perform on/off/status/etc by accessing the device directly via IP.

A google search for ESP8266 outlet will give you several sites where people have already done this and have published their code.

Some other options are to use an ESP8266 and a relay, a prebuilt ESP8266 relay board module, a raspberry PI and relay, etc.

dun4cheap
    Participant

You may want to look in to the ubiquity equipment. I manage a large HOA that is about 69 Acres. We are using the opensprinkler devices to control our lights and irrigation and security cameras. I have slowly been building a wifi mesh usiung ubiquity radios that have LOS of 7KM. Believe it or not these devices are about $60 each and they have worked very reliably even in a dense areas.

gary
    Participant

I Take it you are using them as wifi extenders. Do they all work using the same SSID? Which model are you using?

dun4cheap
    Participant

I am using the Airmax, Nanostation Locos and Rockets. Typically the 5ghz units. I have used them as AP-Repeater, Stations and AP’s. The longest range I am using right now is 1.5 miles apart in one application. There are different ways you can configure them.

Ray
    Keymaster

@gary: one thing you should try to tweak the RF antenna to see if that can extend the range. While the manual suggested a relatively long (17cm) antenna, I’ve sometimes had more success with shorter antenna, and sometimes with the antenna curled inside the enclosure. As you know, the RF transmitter doesn’t come with a pre-installed antenna, so you need to solder a wire antenna. If possible, you can drill a small hole on the enclosure to extend the antenna out of the enclosure, which generally gives you better range. Also, if there are several barriers (like walls, enclosures) between OpenSprinkler and the receiving power socket, those can significantly reduce the range. These are things to consider when checking the transmission range.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.