OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Let the smoke out. Requesting input on repair Reply To: Let the smoke out. Requesting input on repair

denney
Participant

Got to open things up this weekend. Just wanted to reply back in the event it might help someone else.

First, I was wrong about it backfeeding; I shorted/burnt the triac for zone1 of the expansion board. This seems to have only burnt the fuse on the main unit (which sourced power to the expansion board…no backfeeding).

I applied USB power to the main unit and it tries to start up, so that’s a good sign.

I shorted out the fuse and ohmed out the 24VAC pins…got something in the 6-7 Mohm range, so there are no shorts there. This was done with the expansion board connected but with the valves/outputs disconnected. Reading should be retaken once the fuse is properly replaced and outputs are hooked back up, prior to applying 24VAC.

I placed a digikey order for some spare fuses and triacs. I suspect I could just avoid zone1 on the expansion board but it shouldn’t be too hard to replace the burnt triac.
Triac digikey partno: 1740-1007-1-ND
Fuse digikey partno: F4985-ND

Attached is a photo of the expansion board and burnt triac.

I’ll try to report back in 1-2 weeks after things are (hopefully) back up and running to confirm the above.