OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Opensprinkler on ESP8266 Reply To: Opensprinkler on ESP8266

Daijoubu
Participant

I’m surprised this topic hasn’t gotten any activities since last year but after reading through a couple thousand line changes of code between release 217 and current master of Ray’s code…it just occured to me that the ESP8266 merge (for OS3.0) is not the same code as pbecchi’s mod?

Would it be advisable to use OS3.0 code to run a custom ESP8266 or should I stick to pbecchi’s? I’m a web programmer and I can find my way through C.
I’m planning to just use 2-3 GPIOS per zone to drive a H-bridge for a DC latching valve (Orbit 91592)
Would a L298N provide enough current if I parallel the outputs for 4A max? Voltage drop is quite high however, specs list 4.9V @ 2A (!).
The RobotDyn L298 board have extra transistors and I can drive it with 2 GPIOS only, otherwise I do have a board with mofsets that can handle up to 7A (“XY-160D” red, some green, replaced the 1000uF cap with a 2200uF) but that board needs 3 GPIOS per H-bridge, so a total of 6 for 2 zones.

Btw, in order to use GPIO 9 and 10 (SD D2/D3, possibly different GPIO depending on the board), they must not be connected to the flash, so the pins will either have to be lifted or the trace cut off then pulled to VCC. And then flash with DIO mode using ESP Flash Download Tool, speed difference is minimal if you bump the SPI speed from 40 to 80Mhz

I guess I’ll modify my board once I receive the 4MB/64Mb flash chips, would 1MB/8Mb be sufficient however?
Perhaps not enough for OTA update? How big is the compiled code?
I may be able to get away with using GPIO 0, 2, 12, 13, 14, 15 (16 has no INT_PULLUP/OPEN_DRAIN since it has a builtin pulldown for the wake from sleep)

That leaves me with no GPIOs for buttons, I do have some expanders on order to play with.
It would be nice to get a rotary encoder working 🙂

My LCD is also a SH1106 1.3″ (SSD1306 is 0.96″) and it has a 132×64 framebuffer so the library has to take that into account and shift the image 2 pixels down.