OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Can’t seem up install drivers to update firmware Win7 Re: Re: Can’t seem up install drivers to update firmware Win7



@Jer wrote:

Also, I’ve got a couple of weird issues since the update:

1) My unit’s display shows TUE even though the date & time are accurate and when I log into the device remotely it shows the proper day as FRI.

2) I can’t manually adjust my PORT # from the default 80 to what I currently have forwarded on my router for this device.

3) The MAC is a different address than it was before the firmware update. This has lead to me needing to make correction within my router’s Static DHCP settings so that it assigns the same IP and thus proper port forwarding to be visible outside of my network.

4) When the screen sleeps or goes into the dim mode none of the 3 side buttons (b1, b2 or b3) will wake it. Only a physical power down and back on with the toggle switch will wake it. To be fair, this happened only the one time after I updated the firmware and I haven’t yet had the ability to try to recreate.

5) My web access page looks completely different in that none of the buttons have colors or emblems the way they previously did with v2.0.0 so I’m not sure if this is a new change with v2.0.4 or not but I noticed as soon as I logged in that it looked much more plain.

6) In my router’s client list it now shows the device at this IP address as OpenSprinkler-00 as opposed to what it was previously called: OpenSprinkler.

So far, these are the first differences I am noticing.

As a note to #1 above, verified that the web UI shows proper date with FRI as the day and the device is still showing TUE with 3/28 and the proper time. Weird. Bug?

As a note to #2 above, I was able to log into my device remotely and change the port to the proper port and have it display as such from the web UI. When I view current connection status from the device itself (using b1) it reads proper port # as well. I’m not sure if I manually adjusted this from the device before putting it on my network or if I did it from the web UI as I did this time but I seemed to recall holding down b1 on the device to get it to the port number and manually changing it. Either way, I’m all set on that one but thought I would point that out in case it was a bug on the new firmware that didn’t allow you to manually adjust your port from the unit itself.

As to #4 above, it seemed to wake up fine this time using the b1 button so perhaps this was a one-time hiccup. I will keep an eye on that.

As to #5 above, this may have more to do with my router than the device. I will try a few things to see if this purges from it’s memory.