OpenSprinkler Forums Pictures and Creative Use Open Sprinler with 110V outlet control Re: Re: Open Sprinler with 110V outlet control

DaveGee

@mikes wrote:

Hi All,
Just thought I would pass along what I wired up to not only to control sprinklers but also Christmas lights. I basically wired in at Functional Devices RIB relay RIBU1C I picked up on ebay for $12.00. The two left and top right outlet (with transformer plugged in are un-switched), the one below the transformer is switched by channel 8 of the sprinkler.
Best,
Mike

Note in picture 2 outlets side by side each having 2 plugs … One on top of the other….

.. The two left and TOP right outlet (with transformer plugged in are un-switched)
.. The final socket (found BELOW the the socket where the transformer is seen) is switched by channel 8 of the sprinkler.

So in short zone 8 only controls ONE of the FOUR sockets as seen in the photo.. Very cool stuff!

Just a word of warning to all readers … This mixing of HIGH voltage 110/220 with LOW voltage control inside a single electrical box is not as simple as poking a knockout on an electrical box and sneaking in a low voltage wire. In fact, if not done right you would be breaking at least one ( if not more ) building / electric codes that very well could result in fire.

Why is that so important? Well if you burn down your house and the fire inspector traces it back to your work there is a really good chance your home owners policy will refuse to build you a new home… Try telling that to your better half. 😯