OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) 1st time install and setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

karmaman

I’m pretty new to Raspberry Pi and a complete NOOB to OSPi. Onto a clean SD card (no RPi images (including NOOB) installed), I’ve loaded the OSPI SD card image dated 10/31/2013. I have my OSPi connected to my RPi. My RPi is connected to my display via HDMI and to my router via ethernet cable. I have a USB keyboard and mouse (via hub) and a USB wireless adapter plugged into the RPi.

When I power it on, I first see the rainbow-colored screen, then a scrolling list of boot commands. The command prompts stop at “ospi login:” where I entered “pi” and then “raspberry” for the password. I then get a message about Desbian GNU/Linux — no warranty, etc. and then receive the following prompt: pi@ospi ~ $

This is where I’m stuck. If I switch my SD card to the one that contains only the NOOB setup, I boot up just fine so I’m pretty sure my hardware connections are not the problem. One last point, in case it matters, my OSPi is currently not connected to my sprinkler. My plan was to check it out & and do what setup I can in my office before connecting everything and finishing the config in the garage.

Thank you in advance for your help. I’m very anxious to get this baby running!

Samer
    Keymaster

Well, you haven’t described a problem per-se. That login prompt sounds like the end-point. That’s only used to make changes to the system or update software, etc.

The sprinkler interaction will occur in a web browser on your device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc).

Now you might need the device IP which can be found by typing: ifconfig. This would be done after logging in as you described earlier. The default port is 8080 so the URL would be http://the_ip:8080

Hope this helps.

karmaman

Thanks for the quick response. Is it possible to boot up Raspbian after OSPi boots? If possible, I’d like to have a small touch screen LCD in my garage with the OSPi/RPi that I could open a browser and control from there rather than using my computer in the house or a smartphone. I’d still use both of those, but the screen would allow for quick adjustments and also make it easier for the landscaping company to access when needed.

Again, thanks for getting me over that hump. I’m now exploring!

Samer
    Keymaster

Absolutely! I don’t own an OSPi nor have I used the preconfigured image however I believe it should be as easy as installing a GUI via apt-get install.

You could also install OSPi on the NOOBS image using two commands:
    apt-get install git
    git clone https://github.com/Dan-in-CA/OSPi

karmaman

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. Can I apply the pre-configured OSPi SD card image to the NOOBS image after I’ve completed the NOOBS setup?

One more question – I have 9 sprinkler zones and thus have the extension board connected to my OSPi. When I access the OSPi through the browser, only stations 1-8 are shown. Is there configuration required to make the next block accessible?

Thanks again for your help. I clearly have a lot to learn.

Samer
    Keymaster

Correct, under options you’ll find a setting named expansion boards. Change this to the number of expansion boards you have connected. Keep in mind if you are using the new 16 zone expanders that they count as two expanders.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) 1st time install and setup