OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) A new command-line interface for timed operation of stations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

snewman

Hello all – I just got my OSPi this weekend and wanted to hack around with some Python to control it. I’m a total noob when it comes to the hardware, but I’ve been a professional Python developer and author for many years, so I’m really excited to see what I can learn and contribute.

Specifically, I wanted to replace the awful timer in my garage with cron jobs on the Pi. I just got new sod and configuring the wacky schedule required almost made me lose my mind with the dial-based timer that came with the house.

I also wanted to be able to quickly prevent any jobs from running when my soil moisture is high or I see a high percentage of rain in the forecast. (It’s a manual operation now but I have plans to automate it soon)

Once I get a little more comfortable with the hardware, I’m looking at writing a remote-access solution and making it freely available to everyone who is interested. I’m an iOS developer in my day job, so you can expect a remote-access iPhone application from me at some point in the future!

I used some of the existing demos as a basis and made some changes and cleanups to make it a bit more Pythonic. I’d love any feedback you might have to offer:
    https://github.com/greencoder/opensprinklerpi-neptune

My initial goal was also to limit the number of external dependencies and libraries, so this version is pretty basic. I’ve identified a couple weaknesses that I need to address, but I’m pretty happy for the handful of hours it took to get this written and published.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) A new command-line interface for timed operation of stations