OpenSprinkler Forums Third-Party Software Announcement: Opensprinkler ET

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

richpuch
    Participant

@shawnharte,

Hope all is well. Your contributions are much appreciated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Shawn, is there a downloadable version of the firmware I can use for hardware 2.3 AC ? or do I have to compile the firmware ? I really don’t have the skills for compiling it , but need the ET functionality more – so will try and work through it if that’s necessary.

mpoloniato
    Participant

Goodmorning, I am an enthusiast user of opensprinkler 2.3 AC from almost 2 years. Now I am planning to update it with the Opensprinkler ET FW. I followed the guide to compile FW with arduino SW 1.0.3, but I’m getting a lot of compile errors and I’m not able to make it function. I’m a beginner arduino programmer.
    With the last FW from github I get an error ‘wire’ not declared in this scope. AFter this I tried to add Wire and SDfat library directly into the FW folder and after compiling I get a bounch of error like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\OpenSprinkler\main.cpp: In function ‘void flow_isr()’:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\OpenSprinkler\main.cpp:92: error: no match for ‘operator!=’ in ‘OpenSprinkler::options[21] != 2’
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\OpenSprinkler\main.cpp:95: error: ‘class OpenSprinkler’ has no member named ‘flowcount_time_ms’
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\OpenSprinkler\main.cpp:97: error: ‘class OpenSprinkler’ has no member named ‘flowcount_time_ms’ù
    ETC…

How can I handle this? Any help is much apreciated!

mpoloniato
    Participant

After many tests, I compared the orginal FW with the ET one and I noticed that there were some differeces in the main program.
    On the left the original, on the right the ET one which gave me compile errors.
    After adding to the ET FW the lines:
    #include <Wire.h>
    #ifndef ESP8266
    #include <SdFat.h>
    #endif
    I was able to compile the FW ET correctly. Is it safe to upload this FW to my controller? I don’t have such programming skills to understand completely the revision done.

Another question: the server for ui asset ui.veuphoria.com is usable onle with FW ET or can it be used also for the standard FW?

Thank you!

Attachments:

ShawnHarte
    Participant

Sorry for never getting back to this project, but to answer your question yes, if it compiles without error it is safe to upload to the controller. It won’t cause any irreversible damage. Please do monitor it for a few days to make sure nothing pops up. For peace of mind if I ever had an error it would manifest itself immediately, with conditions like not booting, crashing immediately when trying to modify a program, or simply displaying nonsense in the LCD.
    The ui.veuphoria.com will only work properly with 2.1.5-6 and the ET FW. Anything else will have changes that will not work at all. I would suggest against using it for anything other than the ET FW.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can you post here if it works ? I’d also like to use it if you are successful.

mpoloniato
    Participant

Ok,next days I will try to upload the FW on the controller.
    Is it possible to get a scheme with the general structure of the fw in order to understand how works the “modules” of it?

ShawnHarte
    Participant

Your best bet for learning how the modules all interact is going to be opening the entire project in something like notepad++ and going through the header (.h) files for which module defines the functions used. At one point I did have a pretty generalized flow chart for everything, however, I lost almost everything when my computer died. I’ll take a look at what I may still have unfortunately I don’t think it’s much.
    One of my biggest problems getting everything to work was the limited space available on the older hardware I had. There was a lot of test and adjustment and I had to remove some of the newer functionality to keep the size down. It isn’t too bad once you have the basics down, and the code is pretty straightforward. Keep verbose mode on when compiling and watch for errors, then just look for whatever causes it to break. Once it compiles properly you’re usually close enough to just observe the controller and correct minor left over issues.
    Good luck, it’s a fun and rewarding process to dig in and make your own changes. Just don’t give up, Ray and Samer have done a fantastic job keeping everything at the hobbyist level.

mpoloniato
    Participant

This evening I tried to upload the firmware to the controller, everything went right.
    I updated the server as attached but I’m not able to reach the controller anymore on the internal cabled network.
    if i return to the original server the controller can be reached.

Anything wrong?

Attachments:

ShawnHarte
    Participant

The ui and weather both need to use the veuphoria.com URL. You will no longer be able to use the app or current ui, in order to adjust settings you need to forward the Opensprinkler port on your router, and use your external IP for the site address. You can use a DDNS site as well.

Then you can access your controller by visiting ui.veuphoria.com The reason I did it this way is the script for weather data does some of the heavy lifting for calculating ET server-side and couldn’t be done on the controller. The app had to be modified and updates would have broken things so it was frozen for development, and I didn’t want to host an app that was so similar to the base app to prevent confusion. An internet connection is required for weather data, so it should be of little consequence to need one for the ui elements.

If you’d like to see the weather script and ui it is available on github with the firmware. It could be locally hosted on just about any platform that will run a basic python 2.7 script, if you would like to avoid using a secondary server. It does use weatherunderground by default so be sure the service is available in your area.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Third-Party Software Announcement: Opensprinkler ET