OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Announcing OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware 2.1.7

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Augustin
    Participant

Added new option to enable/disable special station auto-refresh. For example, if you use RF station and do not want the controller to periodically send refresh signals to keep the RF station in sync, you can leave this option disabled.
    Where this option can be found? I find it very useful when using RF switches and I was about to request it 🙂

Ray
    Keymaster

Assuming you have firmware 2.1.7, this option should be under Edit Options -> Advanced Settings

zeddy
    Participant

Hello
    Does this method work on version 2.0 hardware as well?

Ray
    Keymaster

As is indicated in the announcement:
    “IFTTT support is only available for OS 2.3 and all Linux-based systems. It is NOT available for OS 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2.” It’s mainly because OS 2.0 to 2.2 do not have enough flash memory space to fit the code required to handle IFTTT.

zeddy
    Participant

Hi Ray
    I wasn’t talking about IFTTT, sorry for the confusion. The announcement only mentions Open Sprinkler 2.1 to perform this method of upgrading using the USB programmer. I have version 2.0 hardware and wondering if the same instructions apply.

https://openthings.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000668400-updating-opensprinkler-2-1-to-firmware-2-1-6-and-beyond-

zeddy
    Participant

I can confirm this doesn’t work on a 2.0 version as it does not have an external crystal for the atmega644. Does anyone happen to know what the fuse settings for the 2.0 hardware are perhaps?

This worked in setting the fuses back to internal clock. I then uploaded the combined firmware which brought the unit back to life, then used the USB updater program to update to 2.1.7.

avrdude -c usbasp -p m644 -U lfuse:w:0xc2:m -U hfuse:w:0xdf:m -U efuse:w:0xff:m

Ray
    Keymaster

If you have version 2.0, you do not need to use external programmer: 2.0 has built-in USBtiny programmer. You can directly update firmware using the firmware updater. Using external programmer is only relevant to OS 2.1. You should not change the fuse bits on OS 2.0.

jonathon
    Participant

Does the firmware upgrade script automatically backup the previous configuration? I was prompted to upgrade to the latest firmware from the app on my phone and I wasn’t expecting the upgrade process to delete the previous configuration without warning. I only have 12 zones so it’s not a big deal to rekey the data, but for some OpenSprinkler users with large systems, this could be a huge annoyance. Love the product regardless!

Ray
    Keymaster

Sorry it doesn’t back up automatically. I agree that it should at least prompt a message that firmware upgrade will erase settings, so I apologize for the confusion.

The reason that it resets to factory default on every firmware update is really for backward compatibility reasons: since the beginning of OpenSprinkler, settings have always been saved in EEPROM as raw binary data, not in any human readable format. Even OSPi saves it in the same format. As a result, when new firmwares add new options and remove old options, there is no easy way to map the old settings to new settings since they are not in searchable format. Hence it’s necessary to reset everything to factory default. Now that we have the majority of the products converted to use ESP8266, and it has a file system, that makes it easy to save settings in json format, and therefore upgrading firmware will no longer need to erase the existing data.

Also, the factory reset only happened when the major firmware version changes (for example, from 2.1.6 to 2.1.7). If the major version is the same, and the difference is in minor (for example from 2.1.7(1) to 2.1.7(2)) that will not trigger factory reset.

jruss
    Participant

I am trying to update to 2.1.7 but the updater is just stuck on “Downloading firmware 2.1.7”. I have tried with both windows and mac OpenSprinkler Updater and get the same behavior in both. Is there possibly a bad URL in the config somewhere that I could update?

I have downloaded firmware2.1.7.hex manually. Is there a way I can get this put in the right place and tweak a config to let me install the latest firmware?

Michael
    Participant

Quick question on the side: I used to be able to set the PWS of the station nearby to use (not all of them are equally good). Has that vanished in 2.1.7?
    I can now only set the Location, but not the station anymore. At least I don’t find that option.

Samer
    Keymaster

In the location field at the top of the map, you may specify a station using “pws:STATIONID” (without the quotes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael
    Participant

@Samer: thanks, I didn’t know that. Is that in the manual for 2.1.7? If so, I must have missed it.

Ray
    Keymaster

It’s in the support article about How to Use Weather Algorithm.

Regarding firmware updater: on the firmware updaters instructions page, scroll to the middle and you will find an alternative firmware updater, which is an older version but it’s likely to work better than the official one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Program water times now support full precision down to seconds, from 0 to 64800 (18 hours). Previous firmware uses a compression method to nonlinearly scale the water time (such that beyond 59 seconds, the water times must be in steps of minutes) — this restriction has now been removed.
    To make space for the increased program data, the maximum number of programs has reduced to 17 for OS 2.3 and all Linux-based OpenSprinkler (e.g. OSPi), and to 8 for OS 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2. If you have a large number of programs, you should take this into consideration when deciding to upgrade the firmware.

I would like to take advantage of the new firmware, but I am using 16 zones now, and would like to be able to add zones in the future. I do not need the “full precision down to seconds”. Is there any (easy) way to strip that out of the code and still allow for more than 17 zones? I am running ospi hardware v1.42.

Also, is there a way to stop the “New firmware available” notification?

Ray
    Keymaster

Please note, 17 refers to the number of programs, not number of zones.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I can read…sometimes…embarrassed!

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Announcing OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware 2.1.7