Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

gcreed
    Participant

any plans to support Apple’s HomeKit?

Samer
    Keymaster

It’s definitely something I would like to do, if possible however no plans or research have been done to incorporate HomeKit. Another issue is the app is developed using PhoneGap so a plugin/wrapper would need to be created to incorporate support. The good news is some authors have already begun developing such a plugin but the details on Apple’s HomeKit are still being unraveled so nothing is complete as of yet.

I wouldn’t anticipate this anytime soon however if it becomes we will likely do what we can to incorporate it.

Tom
    Participant

Yes agree this would be a great add. Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure Apple’s MFI program (which HomeKit is under) requires a hardware component to be added to your device (approx cost $4), which would require a mod to the board, as well as make all legacy devices incompatible. Still, food for thought.

Tom

pichirichi
    Participant

Any updates on that?
    is this something that can bridge the gap?
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-2-Homekit-from-zero-to-Hey-Siri/

zkrige
    Participant

It looks like ios11 will be supporting homekit without the need for an MFI chip

`Also new for HomeKit in iOS is software authentication. This is a big deal for older accessories that are already shipping, allowing them to add support for the platform through software without the need for including a hardware authentication chip that Apple previously required.

In addition, Apple is expanding its self-certification process for accessories with a new HomeKit Certification Assistant and more third-party Apple Authorized Labs for testing in the US, China, and the UK.`

So based on this new info, is there any chance opensprinkler will be homekit compliant without the need for 3rd party tools

timcharper
    Participant

Have a look at this homebridge plugin:

https://github.com/timcharper/homebridge-opensprinkler

calanish
    Participant

Tim – I have been watching it on the HomeBridge list, will install later today 🙂

calanish
    Participant

Installed it and it just ran 🙂

The only change from the GitHub instructions was that I ran

npm install -g homebridge-tplink-smarthome

before running

npm update -g homebridge-tplink-smarthome

I run npm under sudo and have HomeBridge setup as a service.

Cheers & thanks!

timcharper
    Participant

LOL um I’m the worst at Copy Paasta and I just got caught red handed. Homebridge-tplink-smarthome was somehow on my clipboard and made its way in to the README. Fixed it. Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.