OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Best way to winterize

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

gbh
    Participant

What is the best way to winterize the Open Sprinkler (not the plumbing) for a 6 month dormancy period? Is it enough to turn the operation off via the web interface? Should I turn the unit off with the switch on the side?  If I turn it off with the switch, will it retain the programming? If I turn it off with the switch will it drain the battery or will it continue to use the power input?  To get as much life out of the components as possible should I turn everything off, disconnect the power, remove the battery and just reprogram it in the Spring?

Samer
    Keymaster

The best thing I’ve found is simply switching the operation to disabled. This setting is saved through power outages and can only be changed back to enabled by the user.

While the operation is disabled the cost for keeping the sprinkler unit itself running is likely less than a dollar a year.

The internal battery is never used to power the device but rather ensure the saved settings persist through a power outage and should not be a source of concern.

Either disabling the operation or turning the controller off will both retain all your programs and settings so there will be no data loss or reprogramming. Furthermore, do note the UI has an export option which allows you to save your programs and settings.

Hope this helps!

Ray
    Keymaster

Also, note that there is a power switch on OpenSprinkler. You can simply switch it off.

TechFan
    Participant

Lol. That is just too old school.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Best way to winterize