OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware FIXED: Bootloader – Will not load

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

scottjk
    Participant

Greetings. Just finished putting this awesome project together today. I’m a computer guy and understand bootloaders from my cell phone/computer background. I cannot for the life of me get my unit in to the bootloader to update the firmware. As soon as the USB cable touches the plugin the screen immediately comes on. I’ve tried for over an hour to get the right combination of hold/plug in/ release and nothing works.

It also didn’t automatically install the USB drivers. I had to use Zadig to get my computer to recognize the serial 2.0 usb device.

Also, I have tested the B2 key and it brings up the MAC address when pressed so the key is functioning.

Version 2.1 – orange connector

I’ve tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 connections

Thanks

Scott

Samer
    Keymaster

Which OpenSprinkler device do you have specifically? I ask because only hardware 2.1 needs to enter bootloader mode. If you are using version 2.0 then you don’t need to enter a bootloader mode.

scottjk
    Participant

2.1 with the orange DC plug.

Ray
    Keymaster

If you have purchased recently, chances are that you have 2.2. Is this a DIY kit, or fully assembled? If it’s DIY, the instructions you followed indicate the version number. Note that both 2.1 and 2.2 use orange terminal block. Only 2.1 requires entering bootloader; for 2.2 you just plug in USB cable and flash firmware directly (there is no need to enter bootloader). Also, 2.2 does not require driver in Windows and Linux (except if you are in Windows XP or using MacOSX, for which the driver can be downloaded following the firmware upgrade instructions).

scottjk
    Participant

I just purchased the unit this week. When I plug it into a windows 7 64bit system it does not recognize the unit and I show and error in device manager. I also tried to plug it in to my laptop that is running Windows 7 64bit and the same thing happens. It isn’t recognized.

Its a DYI kit

The firmware upgrade program does not recognize the unit even after installing Zadig drivers.

Also as I stated previously I’ve tried both 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

Ray
    Keymaster

If you just purchased recently (from us or from MicroCenter?) it must be 2.2. You do not need Zadig driver — in fact, I would recommend uninstalling Zadig driver if you can. As I said, 2.2 does not require driver on most Windows versions (except Windows XP).

Do you have another computer, possible a different operating system, that you can try it on?

scottjk
    Participant

Thanks for the quick replies Ray. And thanks for a super high quality kit. I couldn’t be happier!

I had to restore Windows 7 to a previous day to get rid of Zadig USB drivers.

I then plugged the unit back in to a USB 2.0 port and got the same diver installation error but this time I opened the help link on the error message. Apparently Windows wasn’t set to automatically search for drivers. As soon as I checked that it found and installed the proper drivers and I was able to upgrade the firmware with no problem.

Ray
    Keymaster

That’s interesting. I think there was a previous report that the Zadig driver somehow hindered Windows to find the correct driver for the USB-serial chip on OS 2.2. I don’t understand how this can happen, but I should see if I can reproduce the same issue. Glad that you figured it out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware FIXED: Bootloader – Will not load