OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Call for suggestions: redesign rayshobby.net

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Keymaster

Hi All,

I am looking for suggestions on how to redesign rayshobby.net to streamline everything and make it easy for users to find information. Or more technically, what software tool / framework I should use. Currently, the website uses:
    – WordPress for blogs, project homepage, user manual page etc.
    – MediaWiki for user-contributed wiki
    – OpenCart as shopping cart, and each product has a short product page (which links further to the project homepage and user manual)
    – Github for software code and hardware design files
    – phpBB3 for user forum

The biggest challenge I found is that the same information usually gets repeated in many different places. for example, product description appears on the product page, homepage, sometimes Github readme file as well. This makes it hard to update and keep everything consistent. Similarly, answers to questions may appear in the FAQ, wiki, or user forum. This makes it difficult to search. Generally I need a better way to organize everything, and make it easy to update. More specifically, I think I should consolidate resources, and avoid spreading the same information everywhere.

One idea I have is to make the project homepage, user manual, instructions, FAQ etc. all based around the Wiki page. This also makes it possible for users to contribute and make changes. Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but at least it can consolidate the wiki page and wordpress pages.

So I am opening this up for suggestions. How do you think rayshobby.net should be redesigned to make it easy to find information, and make it easy to update? If you have suggestions about software tools / framework I should use, free feel to speak up. Thanks a lot!

TechFan
    Participant

I do have to say as a new user, I haven’t found it easy to find information. Unless I am missing something, it seems the wiki is actually blank? I think the forum makes sense for questions, but other documentation should be in the wiki, not spread around the website.

Ray
    Keymaster

The Wiki was added not so long ago. It’s not empty (in particular there are important information there about OSPi and OSBo), but I agree it’s under-used. It’s meant primarily for user-contributed content.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Call for suggestions: redesign rayshobby.net