OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Can't access logs over VPN

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Eric Gardiner
    Participant

I’m using a PPTP VPN server on my home router (running DD-WRT) to remotely control OpenSprinkler, and everything seems to be working with the exception of accessing log files. When I attempt the “View Logs” operation, it times out. I see the same behavior from a variety of clients, including Win7 (from a browser), iOS (from a browser), and the iOS native client. As an additional diagnostic step, I tried using a PPTP server on another machine on my home network (a Windows Server 2012-based system), and I see the same behavior.

Any ideas?

Ray
    Keymaster

Does the view log function work if you access it locally within the network, or does it just not work remotely?

Eric Gardiner
    Participant

Yes, the view log function works correctly when I am connected locally on my home network. It just doesn’t work over VPN. Other operations (starting stations, viewing program schedules, etc.) work fine over VPN.

ShawnHarte
    Participant

Are you trying to retrieve a specific set of logs? The ‘start’ ‘end’ and ‘type’ keywords may be seen as arbitrary code execution attempts by your VPN. They are common keywords in a few higher level scripting languages. Do you have access to the logs from your VPN? If so you can try to view the logs again, and then check to see what exactly your VPN is blocking. You may be able to disable a security rule for the OS IP address. Though doing so could allow undesired access to your network.

The ability for local access leads me to believe a security rule is causing the issue.

Eric Gardiner
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. I think you’re right that a VPN security policy was causing the log query to fail. While I didn’t fully root-cause the issue, switching to OpenVPN resolved the issue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Can't access logs over VPN