OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Can't change a Station Name.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Water_my_lawn
    Participant

I setup my OpenSprinkler without any problems. It was so easy
    that I did not need to read the manual. I set up the stations
    names with descriptive names. It worked fine all summer.
    Now I want to change the station names from something like
    “garage” to “1 garage”. The edit is easy enough but when
    I hit “submit” it takes a few seconds but comes back with
    the original text. Am I doing something wrong?

Ray
    Keymaster

Which version of OpenSprinkler do you have? Does this problem still exist?

venki.das
    Participant

Iam facing the s as me issue after thge firware update i think 2.9

Ray
    Keymaster

there is no firmware 2.9. could you go to the ‘About’ page and check the firmware version?

venki.das
    Participant

Hi Ray, my kind apologies i meant 2.1.9.

Ray
    Keymaster

are you able to change other settings, like number of zones, location etc?

venki.das
    Participant

Hi Ray, I have made a video and uploaded to Youtube.

Please see the link below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiR3HJObtag

Also the behavior is same in mobile interface and from desktop

If you have any questions please let me know

many thanks in advance,
    Venki

Ray
    Keymaster

@venki.das: there is no need to post the same question on multiple threads. Please specify which version of OpenSprinkler you have, and what firmware version.

venki.das
    Participant

Hi Ray,
    version is OS 3.0
    firmware version 2.1.9

venki.das
    Participant

hi, ia m also unable to restore the device after the upgrade to 2.1.9. I will try to post a video soon- thanks

Samer
    Keymaster

Could you possibly right click and inspect the web page? If so, look for any errors in the console (written in red). If you find any could you please share the message here?

Thank you!

dopplershift
    Participant

I think I’ve got the same issue here. After updating my OS 3.0 to firmware 2.1.9 rev 2, all my station names show as “reset”.

When I try to edit the names, it doesn’t work… they’re all either displayed as “reset” or sometimes when I refresh the page they’re all displayed as “a6d82bced638de3def1e9bbb4983225c” (all the same). Also doesn’t work to restore from backup settings – programs etc look fine, but the station names still show as “reset”.

In the console, I see the following error “The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the page must be declared in the document or in the transfer protocol.”

venki.das
    Participant

Hi I have managed restore the device and now I am able to change the station name.

For me this issue has been resolved after restore back again to the same firmware version 2.1.9

dopplershift
    Participant

Thanks venki.das, unfortunately reloading version 2.1.9 didn’t work for me, so I tried downgrading back to 2.1.8 (6)… this was apparently a bad idea because my OS is now stuck in a reboot loop! 🙁

Hoping Ray might be able to offer a solution? Should I make a support ticket for this?

Ray
    Keymaster

Reboot loop is quite unusual — it would have to do with flash memory, either there is a flash memory corruption or maybe it needs to perform a full flash reset. If you encounter a reboot loop, I would recommend you to submit a support ticket.

dopplershift
    Participant

Thanks Ray, will do.

Craig
    Participant

Hello Ray im seeing the same issues with the Station name showing reset and unable to change the text.
    The following was done.
    1. Original firmware was 2.1.7 (Hardware V3.0 DC – Clear front)
    2. upgrade to version 2.1.9(r2) was done (this was mainly done as the controller was unable to connect to the wifi network and a hardware reset would not help, so i decided to do a firmware flash and used the newest firmware file, this allowed me to reconnect the unit to the wifi network and use normally)
    3. when restore of backup from original 2.1.7 and now all stations wont allow the station name text to change and all display reset.

is this a known bug or something new?
    i have tried as per above to re-flash the unit with the same firmware and also a couple of versions of 2.1.9, (r1) and (r2) and still no luck.

some help here would be great.

Craig
    Participant

@samer i have done the above request and the console capture from the web page inspector is as follows

there are two lines they are only warnings but thought i would post if this helps.

Ray
    Keymaster

@Craig: after upgrading to firmware 2.1.9, I recommend you to do an explicit factory reset (even though the firmware update should trigger a reset, we’ve found a few cases where explicit factory reset resolved some flash-related issues). The reset procedure is:
    – power off the controller, then power it back on, and as soon as you see the OpenSprinkler logo, press and hold the first push button (B1) and continue holding it until the LCD shows ‘Reset?’ or ‘Factory Reset?’
    – press and hold third push button (B3) until the controller reboots itself and completes reset.

dopplershift
    Participant

Just to close the loop on this, I created a support ticket and Ray provided advice to resolve the problem 🙂

The station names issue (and the reboot loop that my OS got into) were both solved by re-flashing the processor via USB. The instructions I followed are hiding at the bottom of the OS 3.0 firmware update page: https://openthings.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000832310

I gather that the USB port is only available/accessible on the earlier OS3 boards with the clear acrylic enclosure, not on the later models in the white plastic enclosure.

ProfessorChaos
    Participant

Replying to this thread to share that I encountered the same issue with regards to not being able to rename stations. The explicit factory reset resolved all of my issues and I made sure to copy down all information before doing it (was afraid a restore would have the same issues).

A few other notes I wanted to share in case you’re seeing this and it looks familiar. Also to save you some time on troubleshooting:
    I had other weird things like renaming a station would rename other stations. Mostly seemed to happen for station numbers below the station I was renaming. For instance, renaming Station 6 would rename 7 and 8 as well, but not 1-5.
    Tried the “Reset All Station Data” option and it just showed “reset” for most stations after it was done, but still the same issue with trying to rename them after.
    Tried restoring from a backup file I had and still had the same issues. I did NOT try to restore from the backup after the factory reset. The backup file may have worked in this case, but I didn’t want to take the chance that the backup would have the same problems. To be honest, it would probably have been fine because it’s just a JSON file with values.

The main takeaway is that the factory reset will usually fix all issues and it’s not that hard to do as long as you copy everything down first. Hope this helps!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Can't change a Station Name.